A place for discussions not specifically catered for elsewhere
JOJO
Elite Member
Elite Member
Spam Protection: No

Elements & PC storage

Post by JOJO »

It's me again! :lol:

I've just checked what's taking up most of the storage on our rather old PC and it appears that it's Photoshop Elements (900+ MB).

We've recently bought a 1 terabyte external hard drive which I was planning to transfer existing photos to.

Would it be possible for me to install Elements onto the external drive instead, then I can just keep it for my photos and use it as and when?

Many thanks,
Joanne

"Anybody can be a great photographer if they zoom in enough on what they love." - David Bailey
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Elements & PC storage

Post by John »

The actual program should be on your PC, but the storage of images can quite happily be on an external drive.
Best regards

John
JOJO
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JOJO »

:stupid:
So am I correct in thinking I'll be able to edit the photos whilst they are still on the external hard drive?

( At present I've been having difficulty getting anything done as the PC keeps saying something about not enough scratch memory (don't quote me :lol:)

Thanks again
Joanne

"Anybody can be a great photographer if they zoom in enough on what they love." - David Bailey
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Yes, the external drive is just another location, just like a folder on your PC.

Scratch memory is the temporary space used by Photoshop to handle the files you are working on. You can select which drives are used as the scratch disk in the properties section of Photoshop. I can show you at the club.
Best regards

John
JOJO
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JOJO »

Ah right, it all sounds so simple now :lol:
That would be great.
Many thanks
Joanne

PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by PhilipHowe »

Jojo, what I'd do is copy the older photos you are no longer working on to the external drive. Keep any you are currently working on, on the local PC hard drive. This will enable you to process faster, and, will also encourage you to backup your precious photos.

One other thing people don't tend to do is, have a good scan through them and DELETE any that you won't be processing, you'll be surprised how many out of focus, badly composed, test shots you'll have on there.

Don't work directly from the external drive.
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
JOJO
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JOJO »

Thanks Philip.

I managed to transfer the thousands of old photos to the drive (without help from the kids might I add!), two and a half hours of my life I'll never get back.

I did end up deleting whole files of footy photos that were rubbish :lol:
And I've done as advised and kept this year's photos on the PC... So now I can get cracking with Elements :D
Joanne