Print competitions

A place for discussions not specifically catered for elsewhere
JOJO
Elite Member
Elite Member
Spam Protection: No

Print competitions

Post by JOJO »

I'm feeling inspired by the annual print competition and fancy having a go.
I'll most likely be doing A4.
If I have difficulty with printing my own, where's the best place locally to get images printed (that doesn't cost the earth)? And also card mounts (I have used Hobbycraft previously for other projects).
Thankyou :-]
Joanne

"Anybody can be a great photographer if they zoom in enough on what they love." - David Bailey
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Print competitions

Post by John »

Paper Spectrum is a widely known supplier of boards. They are on the internet and will deliver. Use 3M Photomount (red can) as an adhesive and if you need a demo of the technique I can do that before or after a club meeting for you.

For prints, we now use Costco, very low price and superb quality prints. An 18" x 12" print is just £2.29
Best regards

John
JOJO
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JOJO »

Thanks John. Watch this space :lol:
Joanne

"Anybody can be a great photographer if they zoom in enough on what they love." - David Bailey
Gordon Armstrong
Chair
Chair

Post by Gordon Armstrong »

Do you need a membership to use Costco?

I use DS colour labs. The prices are competitive especially if you request a few at a time to economise on postage. The turn round time is excellent - my annual entries this year were delivered in 24 hours and the packaging is very good.

The Range sells art board in a range of colours including black, white and ivory. They only sell large sheets which need to be cut down to the right size and give two mounts per sheet. I use a cutting wheel against a long steel rule on my wife's A1 cutting board. They work out slightly cheaper than a pack of precut boards from Amazon (which i think come from Paper Spectrum as suggested by john) but that saving is blown away if you miss cut one!!!

3M photomount is great. The Range sell their own version in a red can which I bought in desperation this time round because as usual I left things to the last minute and my 3M ran out. It worked as well as the 3M and is considerably cheaper but I can't comment on it's longevity. They also sell a spray which is supposed to give you a few minutes to reposition - AVOID like the plague - it gives you time to reposition but doesn't hold!!!!

Gordon
"People say that nothing is impossible, but some times I can do nothing all day"

Gordon
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Thanks Gordon, very helpful reply.

Yes, you do need a membership for Costco, but if you can get one then you can save a fortune by buying groceries in reasonable bulk.
Best regards

John
JOJO
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JOJO »

Thanks Gordon.
I may try The Range firstly to see how I cope with the whole print entry :lol: (I've already nominated my Dad as board cutter).
Just need some fresh images :)
Joanne