Flashgun - Miranda 930 TCD

A place for discussions not specifically catered for elsewhere
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Flashgun - Miranda 930 TCD

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Hi

I've just obtained a Miranda 930 TCD Flashgun but haven't got a clue how to use it. It seems to fit my Canon 400D ok. It looks like this could be an old flashgun but seems to work ok in that I've put batteries in and it fires up. There are quite a few different settings and buttons, unfortunately I have no idea what they are used for - help.....!!!!!

Does anyone have an old manual I could borrow / photocopy. Can anyone tell me what all the settings are for...????

I'll bring it to the club tomorrow night in the hope that someone can show me how to use it.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Tracey
Mike
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Re: Flashgun - Miranda 930 TCD

Post by Mike »

ePhotozine has partnered with Old Timer Camera's to make the user manuals available for download. If you click on the link it will take you to Old Timer Camera's where they will sell you the printed manual for £8.95.

Mirandacamera.com also has the download for a 700CT. . . not quite the model you are looking for but they might have more information that was not published on their website.
--------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Some old flashguns have very high trigger voltages (up to 300V) which can damage the electronics of modern cameras, so before using it checking the voltage would be a good precaution.

If you ask Mac at the club he'll bring in his meter and measure it for you. There's also a website that lists trigger voltages - does anyone have the details?
Best regards

John
Peaton

Post by Peaton »

Hi Tracy, the trigger voltage for the Miranda 930 tcd is 6.5 Volts according to the website below, but they don’t give a definite “ yes” as to it’s use, they say “ your call “, But if that is the voltage, there shouldn’t be a problem.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Another website ( below ) says that the 400d is ok up to 250V, but the cameras manual will verify this, under “ flash trigger voltage”. My D80 will fire up to 250V, according to the manual. I use a very old Canon 199a flash and I have just measured this at 4.3V, ( the previous website states 4.99V )

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00KhZK

There's a section on Ephotozine where you can buy a manual for the 930 tcd for £8.95.

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/man ... lash-Gun/9

The polarity of the gun maybe important too, on the Canon 199a the centre contact is +

Hope this helps

Peter
Walter Brooks
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Walter Brooks »

Tracey - Wein do Safe Sync - a hot shoe mount to which you attach your flash gun, which I use on my Canon Powershot Pro 1 - for peace of mind. This regulates the trigger voltage to around 6V - The Flash Centre have them at £46; Jacobs at £44 - so you may want to shop around more. Regards

Walter
“The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.”
― Dorothea Lange
Theo Dibbits
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Theo Dibbits »

Be careful. Canon do not state any flash trigger voltage in either my 300D or 40D manual. They also do not show it on their US or UK website.
They have provided conflicting information about the max voltage. If the camera is in accordance with the ISO spec it should stand up to 24V but Canon US have in a number of cases stated that only 6V should be used.
I presume they are simply are pig headed trying to scare people off using alternative flash guns.

You can always send them an email an ask what it should be.

Theo
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Thank you to everyone for all the help and advice. It all sounds very complicated, I may just stick with the built in flash, don't want to damage my precious camera. I'll bring the flash gun and camera tonight, see you all later.

Tracey
oakeycoke
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by oakeycoke »

Tracey,

Bit late but read the Canon flash bible:
http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/#faq4

As Theo states, the recommended voltage on the 'hotshoe' is 6V, however most of the Canon digital range are safe upto 240v using the pc terminal. However your 400D does not have the pc terminal the xxD series do, i.e. 20D,30D,40D and the pro series, (1D etc).

Walter's suggestion of the Wein safe is probably your safest bet should you decide to use the Miranda.

Better still sell it and save up for a Canon EX series flashgun.

Phil.
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

I think I will, it's not worth the mither or potentially breaking my baby (camera).

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful, it's very much appreciated.

Tracey