Studio shoot

A place for discussions not specifically catered for elsewhere
Lee Bold
Photographer
Photographer

Studio shoot

Post by Lee Bold »

Hi Everyone i thought i'd start this under a new thread as the other was a little long.
Tuesday 28th July 2009 will be the studio shoot at c-studios in wigan, unit 4 swan meadow industrial estate, swan meadow road, WN3-5BE.
I have arranged for rebecca Larner to be modeling as there are only 6 who have said they can attend so far, if more people are available then i can arrange a second model.
The cost is £20 each and starts at 7.30pm for two hours including tea, coffee and refreshments etc.
Various lighting set ups will be arranged and hopfully you can all learn a little something from the event.
I will message all attendees with a contact number so if you get lost i can guide you in.
So far the following have confirmed but if you do wish to come along please let us know.
Gilly B
Lesley B
Tracey Mcgovern
Pamela vose
Emma
Terry Mooney

Thanks
Lee
Emma
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: Maybe

Re: Studio shoot

Post by Emma »

just a qick note to say thanks Lee for sorting tonight and all the tips and advise, was great

Em
TerryMooney

Post by TerryMooney »

Yes - Well organised - spacious studio - a lovely model Rebecca - warm welcome from the owner Clare, also makes a good cup of tea - a great night.
Look forward to another organised shoot.
Thanks again Lee.

TerryMooney
LesleyD
Competitions Secretary
Competitions Secretary
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by LesleyD »

Yes - I agree with Terry and Emma, thank you Lee for a great evening. Rebecca was fantastic and made me feel really at ease. I learned loads last night. Thanks! :D
Gill Blower
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Gill Blower »

Hi

Just to add my thanks to Lee for organising this event. You chose exactly the right model for us. Rebecca was brilliant and understood that a lot of us were new to this type of photography. She helped us all feel at ease and came up with some great suggestions. Learned lots and it was a great confidence booster!!

Can't wait for the next one Lee!!!!

Gill
Lee Bold
Photographer
Photographer

Post by Lee Bold »

Thanks everyone and hopefully your images will show that we had a good time and you learned a little bit more than you did, Your confidence boost was most noticable as the evening went on, If any of you have any problewms with editing from raw just ask hopefully i covered alot of it on the night and you remembered it all. Just keep it simple. Hopfully you've all got some images better than mine, we'll see when we run the competition.
Anytime in the future if you want another go just ask.
Lee

Pammie what type of raw files are yours i'll see if i can find a download so that you can open them, i know i had problems upgrading from cr1 to cr2 files and a simple patch sorted it out.
Lee
Attachments
_MG_3909leeboldweb.jpg
_MG_3909leeboldweb.jpg (111.88 KiB) Viewed 8508 times
Theo Dibbits
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Theo Dibbits »

To quickly view Canon raw files (works with most RAW formats) and do a "first pass cull" I use Irfanview.
It is a free download (http://www.irfanview.com/)
It actually comes in two parts:
Part 1 is Irfanview which is a rudimentary editor (stick to photoshop if you can)
Part 2 is Irfanview thumbnails This is the useful part as it opens your RAW files in thumbnail view. Double click one and it opens in full view. Hit the enter key and it fits to the size of your screen. Up and down arrow keys to step through the collection and delete & enter to bring the numbers down to manageable proportions. It is very fast.

Theo
Tom Gerrard

Post by Tom Gerrard »

Hi,

Another good prog' which can be used for viewing all RAW files is Fastsone Viewer, available from :-

http://www.faststone.org/

All images can viewed as thumbnails, full screen and slide show. A host of of other features are included including some manipulations. It is particulary useful if you have the newer cameras whose RAW files can only be viewed with the latest version of Camera Raw (which can only be used in conjunction with Photoshop CS 4)

The prog' is completely free and is well worth a butchers.

Best Regards, Tom.
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Links

Post by Paul Jones »

Theo Dibbits wrote: I use Irfanview. It is a free download (http://www.irfanview.com/)
Tom Gerrard wrote: Another good prog' which can be used for viewing all RAW files is Fastsone Viewer, available from :- http://www.faststone.org/

These programs (along with others) are listed on the ADAPS website LINKS page: http://www.adaps.org.uk/links.htm
See under "Imaging Software / Accessories" and "Software / Utilities"
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Lee Bold
Photographer
Photographer

Post by Lee Bold »

I think pammie has more of a problem with actually opening the files to work on them rather than just viewing them, the same as most people did when they upgraded to canons cr2 files as photoshop camera raw see's them as unrecognisable files, viewing them in most free software is the easy part finding the photoshop files to edit them is another, Adobe didn't make it easy to find the patch for the cr2 files as they wanted people to upgrade to cs4 which had the compatability installed into it.
Lee
oakeycoke
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by oakeycoke »

Hi,

Not sure if Pammie has a Canon camera, if so then its extremely easy to view raw (.cr2) files in Digital photo professional(DPP) which comes on the cd with every Canon eos digital camera. If you have a Canon older than the 500D then you can update DPP to the newer version by going to the Canon UK site. The latest version which supports the 500D and all models prior to that now has light/shadow controls in raw mode similar to adobe camera raw. You must have a version on your pc to be able to update though you cant just install the update on its own.

IF you don't like using DPP then it will open all .cr2 files and then you can use the 'tools' menu to transfer the file to photoshop which it does automatically, the photo is converted to a 16bit .tif file which can be read by older versions of adobe photoshop cs.

Personally the work-flow with DPP is far easier than Adobe, I've mentioned this before, it also reads the Picture styles and any sharpness etc you've set in the camera, but allows you to adjust this afterwards, similarly the white balance etc. Also Canon is the only one who knows its own raw files and the DPP software now has around 30+ lenses in its database, so it will automatically adjust distortion and vignetting with a mouse click.

Now if Pammie's got a Nikon or other make then its a bit harder as the software supplied with the consumer as opposed to professional (ie expensive) Nikons is limited so its back to the choices stated by other members.

Phil.
pammie
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by pammie »

Thanks guys for all the info about seeing raw files....the problem was I could open them ok, but when I put them in photoshop to edit them, I couldn't open them. I have a Nikon and the software with the camera has one file that over-rides something in photoshop, so once I had that figured and removed, the problem seems to have resolved. So I can now open the raw images in photoshop.