What you guys doing on Sat 26th of Sept

A place for discussions not specifically catered for elsewhere
Brian
Photographer
Photographer

What you guys doing on Sat 26th of Sept

Post by Brian »

That time of year arrives again, Anyone who remembers last year and the wash out may still be having nightmare's LOL. Sept and Oct each year the very kind people of the National Trust turn the lights on at the beautiful ruins of Fountains Abbey in North Yorkshire. We as club are planning on a re-visit this year for anyone who came (and got drentched) last year or for anyone who hasn't been. I was speaking to John R and we have decided that Saturday 26th of September would be a good night to head over the Pennines for a day out.

Detail's :-
http://www.fountainsabbey.org.uk/html/w ... nt/?id=160
National Trust :-
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w- ... atergarden

This will be another ADAPS "make your own way there and car share" type of days out so if you are interested please put your name below and people can discuss maybe sharing the cost of the trip if you car share ....

Fountains at night can be easily made into a full day event (as wrong as that sounds) .. The site will open at 10 in the morning and will close at 10 at night (if your adventurous to cross the pennines at night) . It takes about 1:20 plus from Wigan (I go past Skipton and over Menwith Hill but your route may be different so be weary of times if you wanna come) ... Also as a tip, beg, steal or borrow either a National Trust or an English Heritage card as the site is £8 plus to get in, both NT and EH cards will get you on site for free .. its very well worth the price of entry but still :)

There is a cafe and gift/book store on site that has a very nice range of books if you are interested .. There is also an alternative lower car park too for the disabled or people with mobility troubles. An Elizabeathan hall, Mill, Deer park (at the other end of the gardens), An ornate Victorian church and Georgian landscaped water gardens so there is enuff to keep people interested for the whole day. Also there will be an evening choir service in the undercroft so you get some nice entertainment (thats if your not happy wih mine and my dad's comedy ;))

I don't plan on doing any guided tours of the site so don't ask .. unless chocolate and/or loose women are involved but please feel free to approach me for direstions there

Fountains has more than enuff to please a photogrphy club and we'd love to see some people there this year :)

Some nice pictures for the ones who do not know :)

http://www.apertureimage.com/images/200 ... 0abbey.jpg
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/ ... -abbey.jpg
http://blog.anti-limited.com/wp-content ... 1500px.jpg (<- no one try this for a contest cos I am and if you nick my ideas I will slap you with a haddock :D, and no not Burt :P)

Oh and I am not on Fountains Abbeys christmas card list I just love the place :D
Take only pictures, Leave only footprints ........
Возьмите только фотографии, оставить только след .........

Always ask yourself this question: “am I proud of this shot?” if the answer is “yes” then it doesn’t matter what anyone else says.
-=d^_^b=-
Sue Boon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: What you guys doing on Sat 26th of Sept

Post by Sue Boon »

Please add my name to the list.
Sue
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

We're in, great event last time in spite of the rain.
Best regards

John
Alan Duckworth
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Alan Duckworth »

I would have loved to come or is is go, on the visit but on this day I will spend over 4 hours jammed in a seat on a Boeing 757, being forced to fly to the small island of Gran Canaria, where I will have to do my duty and drink ice cold lager, brandy and lemonade (diet of course), keeping the English end up, for almost two weeks, and will wait with baited breath to get home and find out what I missed in Yorkshire. Please accept my apologies for being unable to attend.
Gill Blower
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Gill Blower »

Hi

Me and hubby are up for this one. Will probably go early and have a wander around the local area and meet up later.

Gill
LesleyD
Competitions Secretary
Competitions Secretary
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by LesleyD »

Yes please - put me down for 2 places - Kevin and myself.

Lesley
hogiebogie
Initiate
Initiate

Post by hogiebogie »

Put me down please
Bernie :-]
markculshaw

Post by markculshaw »

hi,