Critique night

All your ideas for the website, the forums and the club
danny
Elite Member
Elite Member

Critique night

Post by danny »

How's about a critique night say 2nd Thursday of the month.Members to bring on the night 2 prints only, mounted as if for competition.To give new members a practice run.The same for digital entrys sized and mounted correctly for showing on cd or pen drives.The critique to be the members in the room on the night.No Silly Coments Or Derogatory Remarks..it would give members a chance to show there work instead of just the one night of Compertion. Regards Danny. :-d
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Critique night

Post by John »

Thanks Danny. Critique nights have been under discussion, the main problem being finding space. I suppose it's great that we find more than we could possibly do to fill 48 nights a year.

There will certainly be critique nights or sessions at some point, but when is yet to be decided.
Best regards

John
KEASLA
Photographer
Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by KEASLA »

good idea but it should be digital only as it would cost people to show there images
My Flickr My Twitter

As always, stern, stern but fair
danny
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by danny »

Hi Keasla can't make it digital only as some members like to Print there photos .it's upto the indivdual as to what he or she wants to show.Prints Digital or both.

Regards Danny.... :[]
mike-e
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by mike-e »

Critique night are an excellent idea Danny, I wonder how practical it could be, as the club owns the building, on holding alternate nights for critique, much like we do for portraiture or workshops, Maybe those who attend would prefer a smaller more intimate audience.
paulinefisher
Photographer
Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by paulinefisher »

mike-e wrote:Critique night are an excellent idea Danny, I wonder how practical it could be, as the club owns the building, on holding alternate nights for critique, much like we do for portraiture or workshops, Maybe those who attend would prefer a smaller more intimate audience.
This is a really good suggestion Mike, I would be very interested in the opinions of the other members (experienced or less experienced,judges and non judges).

Regards,
Pauline
danny
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by danny »

Hi Mike I see where you are coming from But No the idea is for all club members to take part ,I think if you have a small separate a gender it will get a bit elitist and would put people of participating. :]
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Competitions are one thing, and critique sessions add to that, but also the other avenues for showing images that I suggest are:

1. Post in the Images section of the ADAPS forum.
2. Post on the ADAPS Facebook page.
3. Post on ePHOTOzine and make sure we all know your username. I'll start a thread about this.
4. Make sure we have your best images to selct the external competition entries from.
5. Make sure you enter the L&CPU Annual, the details will be announced by our External Competition Secretary in the New Year.
6. Pin some photos up on the wall at the clubrooms. Feel free to do so where there's a space, but not the exhibition area where the extra rails are, we'll take them down if and when we need the space for something else.
Best regards

John
mike-e
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by mike-e »

Hi Danny
Sorry Danny, I thought you were aiming at new/newer members to have a practise run in using the critique as to gauge their standards before parading their work to the whole club. I can understand if you are suggesting everyone could attend then a separaqte evening is tricky.
I am not so sure it would be elitist, just as attending workshops or portaits are not seen as elitist (are they ? ). But I do think the face to face meeting to critique is an excellent idea, particularly for newer members.
Forums and posting online John is good but doesnt always allow for instant feedback or allow people who don't always articulate well with the written word.
Heartfelt praise or constructive criticism is much better managed face to face. I know the online suggestions are practical but not always .

Thanks Pauline, Angie said likewise, the opinions of others is hard to come by particularly if you are at the beginning of your phoographic journey, or even if you need help

Mike-e
danny
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by danny »

Hi Mike as you say face to face constructive critique is what I have in mind ,Not just the picture,but does the mount complement the image is it mounted correctly.Not every one can do it on line as you point out.Also how do you know you have chosen your best image for external comps? if you have NO GUIDE LiNES.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

The last point is much easier Danny. Images for external competitions are chosen to complement each other, by the External Competition Secretary.

The L&CPU Annual is for individuals to enter, but they have to do it via the External Competition Secretary in each club. For this, you choose what you want people to see and can hope it will end up exhibited and in one of the folios.
Best regards

John
GERRYG
Elite Member
Elite Member
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by GERRYG »

John would it be possible for me to book the club room for a Tuesday night, once a month, for a Critique night. It would be run by me, with help from Jared. Open to any club members, for prints and digital, prints don't need to be mounted. The idea is for me with others, critique the pictures for competition standard, and Jared will show people how to process the pictures for the best results. Also who would be interested in coming to this meeting. Gerry
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Let me have the first date Gerry and I'll check if it's free. Shouldn't be a problem.
Best regards

John
Stbourne
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Stbourne »

I would be very interested in attending.

Regards

Shaun
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

Me too - this would be a great opportunity to learn and understand a lot more - and possibly a chance to get to chat to one or two more people. I also think that the practical nights (splash, painting with light etc) are invaluable, get you used to handling your camera and it really boosts your confidence.

:)

Janice
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty