Meet and greet

All your ideas for the website, the forums and the club
Brian
Photographer
Photographer

Meet and greet

Post by Brian »

How about a "This is me" section so peeps can introduce them selves and let others know or their sworded past :)
Brian
Photographer
Photographer

Post by Brian »

Damn that lack of a spell checker LOL .. Oh well I will have to put away the collections of medieval ironworks then eh :)
pammie
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by pammie »

I used to fence...epee and sometimes sabre....was such good fun!!
Alan Duckworth
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Alan Duckworth »

I,ve done sword drill, and trained as drill instructor at R.A.F. Upwood.
mrwall
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: No

Re: Meet and greet

Post by mrwall »

I was just looking for an "introductions" section
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

I like the idea. I have noticed quite a few new faces and do not who they are or whether they are guests or new members. Some folk are able to walk up to people and introduce themselves, however, others find this quite difficult to do. I could not really be described as a shy person, but I do hesitate at making the first move - mainly because of my deafness! It can be quite difficult to walk up, start a conversation and then not be able to hear what the other person is saying - and you can hardly shove your ear into the face of someone you don't know! It is also difficult and can be embarrassing for the person chatting to you. So, some kind of introduction would be nice. Perhaps, as a start, at the beginning of each evening our hosts could point out new members? I know that we have our membership cards and they can be worn around the neck, but they are not easily seen! (I can feel a T-shirt coming on!)

Anyhow, I must try harder- and if you can put up with me keep saying pardon, sticking my hand to my ear and looking blank AND giving replies that don't match the question/conversation then -- Hello, I am Janice, deaf as a post, enthusiast, improving with the great help and advice from ADAPS, crown green bowler, card maker, pleased to meet you.

:-d :-d :-d :-d
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

This thread actually started in 2007, so it can't be thought of as a new subject!

What you say is right Janice, but we've always held back because some people would be horrified if the spotlight was turned on them, especially when they were new. Existing members, especially committee members, should ideally try to engage with newcomers to make them feel welcome. I hope we do that, I think normally we do.

However, no system is perfect, so if you see someone is being missed and they look lost, please say hello! :)
Best regards

John
mrwall
Initiate
Initiate

Post by mrwall »

there is no bitchyness here honestly, only 3 or 4 people came to say hello to me on thursday, I did feel a little out of place :)
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Hopefully that will pass Leon. When you get used to us we're relatively tame! 8)
Best regards

John
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Dear mrwall

I'm so sorry you felt out of place on Thursday, as a committee, we try our best to search out new faces every week to try and make new comers welcome. With the best will in the world, it's not always easy when there is a lot going on, we have a large membership and sometimes the odd new face gets lost in the crowd, but we do try our best to keep an eye out for new faces coming through the door.

As a complete new comer, I'd like to know what we could have done better to make you feel welcome, please let us have some feedback on how we could have improved things for you, we don't want new people to feel out of place like you did.

Best Wishes
Tracey
mrwall
Initiate
Initiate

Post by mrwall »

I think maybe it was because the lanternist was on?

I'm fairly sure I can make it this thursday, sure it will be different :)
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Hi Mr Wall / Leon

I wasn't there on Thursday or would have said 'Hello'. I hope that over the next few weeks you'll get to know lots of people and make some good friends.

Just a suggestion, but some members have found it useful to use their real names on the ADAPS Forum to help us get to know them better. See this recent thread about it - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2951

There's no pressure on you to do so, but if you do want to change your forum username just let John know.
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."