DIGITAL PROJECTION

All your ideas for the website, the forums and the club
John Higham
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: Maybe

DIGITAL PROJECTION

Post by John Higham »

Perhaps like other members I was very disapointed to see my prepared digital image marked down because the depth of colour was not reproduced in the projected image, during Thursdays Comp. I know the tech issues are complex but it occured to me that in the meantime we could improve the situation by allowing members to view their prepared images through the projection system prior to the comp so we can then adjust them accordingly.

I know this will be time consumming but I think the result will be worth it.

John Higham
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: DIGITAL PROJECTION

Post by John »

Len is quite right regarding the projector.

Next time we will allow it a good 30 minutes to warm up and do a final adjustment at that point.

The laptop screen should be totally ignored really - they are not up to the task of digital imaging.
Best regards

John
Theo Dibbits
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Theo Dibbits »

The mid colours of my files (red, brown, blue etc.) came out very close to what I am seeing on my monitor. The new screen has made a big improvement.
I did not have any with tricky shadow detail so I can not comment. The very light colours (sea and sky) were some what washed out and will get a good dose of saturation next time.

Whilst John's request to check the comp entries beforehand may be a little too time consuming how about letting members bring some test images either before the evenings proceedings start (say 7 to 8 o'clock) one Thursday evening or if we have a short syllabus at the end? It would help to improve the experience level. (without the pain of disappointment in the comp)

Theo
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Thursday nights can be a bit busy for experimentation that needs lights out, so an alternative time can be arranged for anyone who wants to see how their images look.

Not every competition though, that would be a bit unfair on the majority, just one time to see if their own monitor was showing things close enough so that they can judge where to pitch the image.

I would suggest waiting as next time the projector will be turned down slightly anyway, and that may cure any residual problem. Last Thursday was very, very close. Closer than conventional slides ever were.
Best regards

John