Need help formatting pictures for AV

All things relating to Digital Photography
Theo Dibbits
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Need help formatting pictures for AV

Post by Theo Dibbits »

I am putting some pictures I took during our walking holiday on an AV.
They are to be shown on a HD TV. I am struggling with the quality.
To get the best out of them I need to know the following

1 What size should I format the pictures to in pixels. I know the aspect ratio is 16 : 9 but there must be an optimal size.
2 I know the dpi does not affect the quality on screen but it does impact the file size. Do I set it to 1, 72, 300????
3 Last time I created an AVI file in PtoEX and used Nero to burn the DVD. It appeared to give a slightly better result. Is this the correct way to go?

It frustrates me that I have good quality photographs (I dragged all my gear up 3500 ft of ascent) I can create a good quality AV for PC but I can not get a nice picture on the TV. Is there any other software that gives better results??

Any help is much appreciated

Theo
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Re: Need help formatting pictures for AV

Post by sunsworth »

Theo, at full HD resolution - 1080p or 1080i - the pixel dimensions are 1920 x 1080.

DPI won't affect image size, a 1920 x 1080 image will be exactly the same size whether the image is at 1 DPI or 1,000 DPI.

I can't help with the software side of things I'm afraid. I have some software that works well but unfortunately it's on a Mac.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Pictures 2 Exe is now at version 5.6, so if you have an earlier version then it's a free upgrade that looks very promising.
Best regards

John
Theo Dibbits
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Theo Dibbits »

I have formatted my pictures to 1920 x 1080 which has improved the quality somewhat. Thank you Steve

I am on PTE version 6 and paid my 25 quid to upgrade the video builder. The results are still not brilliant.
The problem I have is that when I create a avi file I need to write it to disc which PTE does not do. Apparently to get the best results I need to write the file at the 1920x1080 size and progressive rather then interlaced.

I used Nero but my version 6 only writes using the old Analogue screen standard. I tried to install a trial version of Nero 9 but it crashed my machine and wiped out my old Nero instance in the process.

I am now serously p... off.

I'll try again tomorrow

Theo
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

ProShow

Post by Paul Jones »

I've heard that ProShow Gold and/or ProShow Producer are very good for photo DVDs viewed on TV.

http://www.photodex.com/
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."