Advice re Film Scanners

All things relating to Digital Photography
thomasru
Initiate
Initiate

Advice re Film Scanners

Post by thomasru »

Hi :lol: I'm looking to purchase a film/print scanner. I have spent two days sorting out my loft and realise that if I do not start to digitise my negatives/ prints soon I may never do it. I want to buy a good quality scanner that will do mainly 35mm negatives both strip and mounted as I have both, I also need to be able to scan prints as I have some old sepia pictures from past generations to store.One other factor is it needs to be Apple Mac compatible.
Looking at the "Which" web site Epson scanners are rated highly, but I thought I ask the club members if anyone knows a better one.

Thanks TomR 8)
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Re: Advice re Film Scanners

Post by PhilipHowe »

Hi Tom, you may have been better posting this in the Film category.

Here is a link I found that will show you how to make your own, for the price of a macro lens (if you don't already have one)

http://www.scantips.com/es-1.html

The thing is, you can buy a negative scanner, but they are usually low resolution (5mpxl), however, if you already have a 10mpxl camera.....
The only thing i would add is to get/construct a light box that goes behind the negative. This way, you have a constant temperature light source. The advantage being that all your RAW processing can be done in batch mode as you should be able to select the same White Balance setting.

It will also be faster than a scanner (slide, click, slide, click), and you don't need to keep checking your PC after every slide.

Just my 2p.
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Apart from the genral advice on scanning archives of...don't do it, it drives you crazy...the Nikon Coolscans are excellent, available second hand only. They do a proper job. The Summit Photofix at just under £100 scans 35mm and 110 and is adequate for web use and small prints, but great value.

For larger negatives and prints, flatbed Epson scanners are the thing.
Best regards

John
Walter Brooks
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Walter Brooks »

Tom, my Epson V750 does the trick on transparencies, negatives and prints, plus you have the flatbed option for copying or creating images by scanning objects. Recently did a batch of several hundred transparencies for a friend and fellow club member - and whilst scanning, was able to work on scanned images ready for cataloguing and burning to DVD. Regards

Walter
“The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.”
― Dorothea Lange
thomasru
Initiate
Initiate

Post by thomasru »

Hi :)
Thanks for the advice everyone, guess it will be a Nikon or more likely an Epson Perfection.

See you soon

TomR 8)
thomasru
Initiate
Initiate

Post by thomasru »

Hi :-d Just thought I'd confirm that I took your advice ( not John's) and bought a scanner, went for a Epson, came yesterday as well as a new computer to handle all the work, so in a few weeks I'll start my scanning to get them all on disc. May also take the opportunity of putting the prints in albums ? or is that going backwards.

TomR 8)
Walter Brooks
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Walter Brooks »

There is nothing wrong with prints and albums Tom. Can't see a Care Assistant in a nursing home, during a Wednesday afternoon's reminiscing session, going through computer files or digital photoframes with me. :lol:

Walter
― Dorothea Lange
zootnanny
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by zootnanny »

Hi there,

I have a Canon CanoScan FS2710 for the 35mm stuff, how many negs/trans have you ????

email me 'going2c-adaps at yahoo.co.uk

---
Zootnanny
thomasru
Initiate
Initiate

Post by thomasru »

[quote="Walter Brooks"]There is nothing wrong with prints and albums Tom. Can't see a Care Assistant in a nursing home, during a Wednesday afternoon's reminiscing session, going through computer files or digital photoframes with me. :lol:

Walter[/quote]
Hi :-d
Well I have started using my scanner on my old photographs and they are coming out good enough for my needs without too much manipulation. I'll be starting on my slides soon and wanted to ask which way is the correct way to have them in the holder, Emulsion Down to the lens in the scanner, or Emulsion Up. :!:

I've also got a fluid mount accessory ( haven't yet got the scanner mounting fluid or mylar film yet) but would be interested in finding out if its the same for this :?:

Any info would be appreciated, I've not been able to find the answer on the Epson site though I'd be surprised if it wasn't there somewhere.

TomR 8)
Walter Brooks
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Walter Brooks »

Tom, I think the slides are face up as you view them - after the first scan you'll know! As for the fluid mount I can only guess to be the same orientation - my understanding on the fluid mount is that it is useful for large format - scanning medium format using the holder was good enough for me. Regards

Walter
― Dorothea Lange