Lenses

All things relating to Digital Photography
jane-f

Lenses

Post by jane-f »

Im hopeing to save up and buy a new lens next year, my current one is only a 80- 200mm ultrasonic lens,
and i realy struggle if its over cast and doing action shots - especially at a distance, camera is a canon 450d.

Im finding it a mine field out there with lenses - and finding it hard to find the right one,
so any suggestions.
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Re: Lenses

Post by Paul Jones »

Think about...

- what do you intend to photograph?
- what focal length are you likely to need? (ie, how far away?)
- would you prefer zoom or prime?
- how much can you afford to spend?

When I joined ADAPS I knew nothing about lenses. John R was a huge help and font of lens knowledge.
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Tom Gerrard

Post by Tom Gerrard »

I was about to say the same things as Paul. Put lots of thought in what you want to shoot and what focal lengths you seem to use most. This info' for all the shots you have taken up to now is available in the metadata section in Bridge or in the File Info in Photoshop. Have a look through these, it may help you to make up your mind.

You will probably want a zoom, I, as most people do, use a zoom, most of the time, these days the quality is almost indistinguishable from that of a prime lens.

Regarding the problems you encounter in low light, they can be overcome by increasing the ISO or obtaining a 'fast lens' ie, a large aperture lens, which can be extremely expensive.

One last point which obviously depends on the size of lens you are thinking about - the weight. Carrying a large heavy lens around all day can be a real pain in the neck in more ways than one!

Don't rush this purchase, talk to as many members as you can and pick their brains, smile sweetly and they might even let you try one one. Most shops will also let you try a lens on your body so you can evaluate it's performance. I have asked to do this several times and have never been refused. Then there are many reviews available on the net for you to peruse. After you have done all this one will seem to float to the top of your list which will satisfy all your requirements.

Invest in the best lens you can (or can't!) afford, a good lens can last you decades and after you have done your calculations may prove to be the most economical piece of photographic equipment you buy.

Regards, Tom.
jane-f

Post by jane-f »

Thanks both of you.

Tom - the lens would only be used when i go to the corsing events, like at peterborough or when i can get to highgate,
as its mostly dogs i take pictures of, for everyday use - like on our group walks, i will probably use the lens i currently have,
as theres to much risk on these walks of getting knocked over lol
although in summer if im out on my own, i would probably use it then - as we do have a lot of wildlife round hear and more different types of birds
are being seen yearly,
Doing highgate isnt to bad, but at peterborough - its hard work and i do use the full lengh of the lens most of the time,
im either trying to take pictures of the corseing or head shots of the dogs, so realy need a lens that i can use for both, close ups and distance.

Looking back at the pictures i took at peterborough, its mainley distance thats the problem, as you cant realy get on to the course,
because of the dangers of the dogs running - dogs running at you and only focusing on the lure, is not good,
we ended up with someone in hospital last year, when he was in the middle of the course, the dogs veired in to him
he ended up being knocked out and his camera damaged.
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by PhilipHowe »

Jane, at the risk of a plug, I am about to sell three of my lenses.
I too deliberated for ages and John was probably the biggest help, not in so much as he told me what to buy, he made me understand what to look for.

I currently only use two lenses, they cost a lot of money, but they are both fantastic and I can't see myself really buying anything else, certainly not to replace them, hence the old ones are to go.
I would recommend a long range zoom with IS. I take photos at the motocross and have of a whippet racing event. I used a 28-200 without IS and got good results, however, with a 70-200 with IS, I've basically thrown my old photos away.

I agree with Tom in thinking that buying what you think is the next step lens is not always best in the long run. The best you can/can't afford is the approach I wish I'd followed.

I bought both of my L series lenses second hand. I took my camera with me, tried them out, got back home, looked at the images for any defects and then went back and bought them.

You are more than welcome to borrow any of the lenses I do not use (Canon 28-200 non IS, Canon 28-135 with IS and Tamron 70-300 Di), I am going to offer them on here today and then on a well known auction site next week.
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

jane-f wrote: Doing highgate isnt to bad, but at peterborough - its hard work and i do use the full lengh of the lens most of the time,
im either trying to take pictures of the corseing or head shots of the dogs, so realy need a lens that i can use for both, close ups and distance...... Looking back at the pictures i took at peterborough, its mainley distance thats the problem
Hi Jane

I think Bert Haddock uses the Sigma 'Bigma' for much of his wildlife and sports shots. Have a chat with him about it.

Sigma 50-500mm super zoom
Link: http://www.lonestardigital.com/Sigma_50-500.htm
Paul
================

John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

It's mostly been said, but I wish that from the very start I'd only ever bought the best lenses from the camera manufacturer's range. They are more expensive. But they are better engineered, last better, have better optical quality and cause no compatibility problems.

The worst example is Sigma, who reverse-engineer their lenses. They don't pay for a licence, so they have to work out how to make the lenses operate for themselves. As a consequence, a Sigma lens for Canon today may not work properly on a new Canon next year. Some older Sigma lenses cannot be used or even upgraded for current cameras, so buy second hand ones with care.
Best regards

John
bert haddock
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by bert haddock »

Jane,
I use mainly Sigma lenses for most of my sport and wildlife photography, a 50-500 and a 20+ year old 400mm prime lens, the 50-500 does take a lot of practice to get used to but is a very good range of focal lengths and when taking photo's in dusty conditions as on safaris in Africa etc means I can leave one lens on my camera and avoid the risk of getting dust on the cameras sensor. if you go to my name on the links page of the ADAPS website it will take you to my EPHOTOZINE website to view some of the images taken with these lenses. attached a couple images taken with the 50-500 BIGMA, the bike shot taken on Saturday at the British Superbike Championships at Oulton Park.
Regards,
Bert.
Attachments
Tommy Hill worx suzuk  iforum.jpg
Tommy Hill worx suzuk iforum.jpg (91.97 KiB) Viewed 9633 times
bert haddock
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by bert haddock »

Hi Folks,
Sorry about the photo of the Turnstone being uploaded , a friend sent me the image for my comments on it, and it was next to my shots from Oulton Park I clicked on the wrong image to send and as I am having trouble with my computer running very slow the photo was attached to the bike shot and I couldn't delete it,
John or Paul, is it possible for you to delete it.
Regards,
Bert.
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

bert haddock wrote: Sorry about the photo of the Turnstone being uploaded....... John or Paul, is it possible for you to delete it.
Done. :D
Paul
================

oakeycoke
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by oakeycoke »

Jane,

Excellent advice from everyone above as usual, it may be on the links page but this is a good place to read info on lenses for Canon cameras.
http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html.

All the L series 70-200 lens are very good, though you state you are often at the 200mm end most of the time. Your 80-200 wont be at its best at the long end and also you will be at f/5.6 as opposed to f/2.8 or f/4 with the L series. You can add a 1.4 converter to the 70-200 series and thus have approx 280mm at the long end and though you will loose an f/ stop the quality is going to be better than the 80-200 you have now. All this comes at a cost unfortunately and if you are looking at f/2.8 then you are in to £ and 4 noughts after it, plus they weigh a bit to.

Viable cheaper alternatives are non Canon Lenses or the mid range Canon ones. the 70-300 IS f4-5.6 gets a good right ups as does the new 55-250 IS with 4 stop IS, the latter being good value for money. Unfortunately at the long end you are in f/5.6 territory so the f/2.8 lenses are letting in 4 times as much light, in other words they allow you to use faster shutter speeds to freeze the action and at 200mm you will need 1/200sec or faster shutter speed (IS isn't much use to you if the subject is moving fast-which no doubt racing dogs are). You can raise the iso on your camera to give a faster shutter and as long as you are not printing at A4 plus then you would get away with iso 800 or even 1600 but expect some noise-grain.

The professionals would no doubt be using 300 or 400mm prime lenses with large apertures, but then you can buy a new car for the price of one of those. Its all a compromise and how much you are willing to pay.

As i haven't got any of the 70-200mm range lanses, well not the L series i would take my 70-300mm f4-5.6 on one camera and the f/2 135mm prime on the other to the venues you mention, not as that's any recommendation, though the 135 is my favorite lens.

Phil
jane-f

Post by jane-f »

Thanks everyone - have had lots to think about :-]

At the moment i dont think i can justify fawkin out for an L lens, although i would love one
the price of some of them is unreal, i did look at the 28-300 L lens, which would have done everything i needed it for,
but at the price its is at its a little to expencive at the mo.

So I think at this time i may go for the canon 70-300 IS USM - its going for just over 360, cheap enough
and i can always save up for an L lens or even a prime over a longer period.

jane
jane-f

Post by jane-f »

Question - most people use the prime lens on the full frame cameras,
i presume they would work just as well on the 450d.

Have been looking at the canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM, its got quite a few good reviews,
and isnt that badly priced either, a lot less them some of the L lenses anyway,
and presume i could add a converter if i needed the extra lengh.
jane-f

Post by jane-f »

Just an update on this.

I finaly bought the canon 70-300 is usm, bought it second hand
for 250, so not a bad price, am quite pleased with it so far,
need to start getting out and practicing more though.

Also can anyone recomend any sites or books on lightroom 3, need to realy learn how to use it properly.

-KT

Post by -KT »

This post was really imformative as I too am looking at buying my first lens.

I'm looking at paying between 200 - 400 new or second-hand. Would love a L lens, but I don't think my experience warrents such an expensive purchase yet.

I'm thinking the:

Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens

or

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens

I currently have just the kit lens 18-55. I am looking at my new lens being an everyday lens for walks and days out. Currenly I look at something I want to take a picture of, but my zoom is not big enough.
I also go to lots of VW festivals and am looking for a wide lens cheap and second hand for my third lens if anyone is selling one.