Advice - Tripods?

All things relating to Digital Photography
kevinlowe
Elite Member
Elite Member
Spam Protection: Maybe

Advice - Tripods?

Post by kevinlowe »

I want to buy my first tripod as I'll be getting a little bit of money for Christmas, and I'm unsure how to tell what I need.
I don't have a big budget, maybe around £50, and what I want to know is should I spend all of that £50, or if I can't afford to pay the large amounts of money that tripods can sometimes run to, should I just pay a tenner and get a bog standard generic one on eBay?

I want to have a go at long exposures and portraits, and this is what I'd mainly be using it for. Any advice?
Kevin
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Re: Advice - Tripods?

Post by Paul Jones »

beeblebear wrote: I want to buy my first tripod as I'll be getting a little bit of money for Christmas...
I want to have a go at long exposures and portraits, and this is what I'd mainly be using it for...
Any advice?
The only question I would ask is whether you NEED a tripod.
I bought one when I bought my first SLR. I used it once or twice and now it gathers dust in the loft.

If you are going to get one, get a good, solid one that doesn't wobble about.
Many of the cheaper ones seem very flimsy.
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Tripods are incovenient and I'm not fond of them. Unfortunately if you want pin sharp long exposures and macro shots they are all but essential.

The requirement is for a heavy, sturdy tripod that doesn't wobble about. Cheap light ones are useless, as are plastic heads that can be twisted easily.

So, the best value for money I would suggest is the Manfrotto 055 Classic plus a suitable head. Ball heads are a good choice. It will be over £100, but maybe eBay will find one at a better price for you.
Best regards

John
keith richardson
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by keith richardson »

A couple of years ago one of the photographic magazines did a group test on tripods, ranging in price up to around £500. And the outright winner was one from Calumet that was also the cheapest of the lot, around £35 at the time.
So as I needed one after having my fill of flimsy cheaper ones I bought one and although it is basic I would recommend it to everyone. It is solid and reliable and has never let me down. It only has pan and tilt head but thats a little inconvenience to put up with for the price.
I think it is now around £50-60 and there is a link to the latest version below.

I now use a manfrotto,( that I got for free ), but only because it came with a trigger head.

keith
http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/CK7316/
Stu B
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by Stu B »

Tripods can be as individual a purchase as the camera you use. The best guidance I can give is before you make a purchase. Get out there and look at them in real life, so to speak. The tripods below the £50 retail mark I have found to be pretty much useless. far to wobbly. I would suggest the ones that dont have leg braces, as they stop the tripod going really low. and are more difficult to use out in the field on uneven ground. Also a quick change plate is good. If your shopping via ebay some of the older models dont have these. From the old school (secondhand) the Slik 88 was a reasonable choice. Should get one approx £25.. Oh and must also be complete with carry bag or the are more of a pain than usual..
Regards

Stuart....
Alan Duckworth
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Alan Duckworth »

Don't buy one retail. Wait for sale night at the club. I seem to remember that there were 5 or 6 last year. Alan D
mark dyson
Photographer
Photographer

Post by mark dyson »

My wife to be bought me a tripod a manfrotto art 055 about 25 years ago and it is still as good now after many outings of abuse. It was not cheap about 70.00 pounds but quality does not come cheap. Make sure the type of photography you do warrants a tripod and buy the best you can afford, it will repay you in the long run. I do landscape and nature photography which needs a good sturdy tripod and take it with me whenever I go out. You can get a harness for carrying a tripod like a rucksack from any good birdwatching supplies.