Query re Fuji Finepix HS10

All things relating to Digital Photography
mancunian61
Spam Protection: Maybe

Query re Fuji Finepix HS10

Post by mancunian61 »

Hi every one,

I've had my new HS10 camera now since March and I've now realised that the majority of my photos are only being saved as 1 - 3 MB - this weekend I have really looked at my manual and a few websites and made a number of adjustments that would, I think, make the most of my photos and increase the MB. They have made some difference but still only saving at 3 - 4 MB.

Am I doing something wrong - is the camera faulty? Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Can anyone shed any light to a very confused 'wanna be' better photographer :??

Thanks and best wishes

Ann
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Query re Fuji Finepix HS10

Post by PhilipHowe »

Ann,

Sorry for this question, but what are you expecting it to be?
Are you confusing megapixels with megabytes?

Does the camera save in RAW format or jpeg?
My 12Mega Pixel SLR saves raws at around 12Mb, but jpegs are probably around 2-3Mega Bytes.

When you get the photos on your computer, what resoluteion are the photos? 2408x1686 for example?
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
mancunian61

Post by mancunian61 »

Hi Philip,

Yes, sorry I probably am confused!

My camera is 10mp but the photos are coming out at 3 - 4 megabytes. I am saving in jpeg but it can save in RAW.

I could attach a photo I took this afternoon as it came - no editing at all, but it is 3.75 MB 3648 x 2736 and I'm not sure if I can upload that within forum rules.

I can see now from you have said already that I have probably got confused and panic followed. What is it they say 'a little information is a dangerous thing' :oops:

Please let me know if you think all is well with my camera and it's just me and I will relax and carry on taking my snaps as I have been, learning bit by bit.

Thanks,

Ann
oakeycoke
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by oakeycoke »

Hi Ann,

Taking a look at Fuji's global site http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digita ... index.html, then this camera records in .raw format and 2 varieties of .jpeg, fine and normal.

If you pan down the page to memory card capacity and image size then you can see that at its largest setting, 3.648 x 2,736 (10M) pixels then it records 9 fine jpg files to its internal memory of 46Mb, so the file size will be around 5MB (46 divided by 9), but probably nearer 4Mb as the internal memory or card will reserve space for folders and other unseen bits. Thus if you set it to record fine jpegs at its largest image size then your files will be in the 4Mb region, though it tends to vary especially if there's a lot of one colour in the scene.

Thus you are getting the correct file sizes and no need to worry, but note that if you record to raw file (.raf for fuji) then your file sizes will be around 12-14Mb approx. Raw files contain more info that can usually be processed on your computer to bring out more detail, though I'm not sure what software Fuji supply to do this processing and whether photoshop and other software will open the raw files. Its one area where Canon supply software with all their dslr and compact cameras which record raw files, Nikon dont at the cheaper end, but not sure about Fuji.

Are you happy with the files? and the end result, if so I wouldn't worry unduly with the file size in Mb, remember the camera is making them smaller by processing them internally to jpeg. The mexapixel size is still 10,000,000 give or take a few and easily sufficient for an A4 print and you would need to get pretty close with good eyes to notice any pixelation at A3 size.

Note the other Phil's reply of megapixels and megabytes, the 1st is the size of the image in pixels, basically small dots 3,648 horizontal and 2,736 vertical in your fine largest image size. Megabytes is a file size, jpeg is a type of file, basically its compressed, lets say for instance half of your photo is pitch black, maybe a portrait on a black background, the camera processes all this black area reducing the file size down. If the background wasn't pitch black but shades of grey it would still compress the file down but have to record the various grey shades and the file size will be bigger. A little simplistic but hope you get the jist.

Phil
oakeycoke
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by oakeycoke »

Ann,

Reference posting images to the forum, read John's advise at the top of the 'Images' section this link viewtopic.php?f=7&t=617 will take you there.

Basically images should only be 800 pixels wide and less than 200Kb in size. You will need to use some software on you computer to resize your files. Fuji may have supplied this on the disc with your camera or if you 'Google' 'free photo size software' or similar you will find something suitable. Note therefore that most of the images you are seeing on the adaps site are well smaller than the original ones, both in pixels and megabytes. In fact to meet this 200Kb limit the raw files from one of my cameras would have to be reduced to 1% of their original size.

So does size matter? Bit of a snap shot attached, Tornado at Pickering station 1st, June.

Phil
Attachments
100th of its original size
100th of its original size
tornado.jpg (202.36 KiB) Viewed 7005 times
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by Paul Jones »

oakeycoke wrote: note that if you record to raw file (.raf for fuji) then your file sizes will be around 12-14Mb approx. Raw files contain more info that can usually be processed on your computer to bring out more detail, though I'm not sure what software Fuji supply to do this processing and whether photoshop and other software will open the raw files.

I think It depends on the age of the camera.

For example,
.RAF files from a Fuji S2 will open in Photoshop 7 and CS2.
.RAF files from a Fuji S5 will open in Photoshop CS3.

Learn your way around shooting in RAW and you'll probably never want to go back to JPEG.
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
mancunian61

Post by mancunian61 »

Thank you Philip, Phil and Paul,

I understand now that I had a slight panic attack and mixed up megapixels with megabytes - I will continue taking my photos now in confidence that I am taking them in the best way for me at the moment. At least it made me read the manual some more and make some adjustments that should make for better photos.

It's a complicated business, this photography lark and over the last year of being with ADAPS I have passed the completely ignorant stage and on to the awareness stage of begining to know what I don't know lol.

Thanks Phil for your advice on posting photos, I have already done this a couple of times when posting to the online monthly comp, I was more concerned about getting a photo up with all the info for you to look at to help me with the settings, rather than just posting an image.

Thanks all for your prompt and helpful replies, they were much appreciated.

If you want to have alook at what I have been taking lately, you can have a look at my Flickr site www.flickr.com/photos/76351649@N00/

Best wishes,

Ann