Canon 5D

All things relating to Digital Photography
Lee Bold
Photographer
Photographer

Canon 5D

Post by Lee Bold »

I'm eyeing up a canon 5D for next year is it right that the more expensive L series lenses will only work with this camera or can i continue to use the lenses that i have for my 300D. If not does anybody else have another camera that is around the same or cheaper that they can comment on. I want something with around 10mp with 5 fps shooting raw.
Thanks Lee
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Post by sunsworth »

Hi Lee, the lenses that won't work on the 5D are the 'S' ones designed for a APS sized digital SLR. The won't mount on the 5D - their image circle is smaller than full frame, so even if they did you wouldn't get all of the frame filled.

Any EOS lenses that were designed to be used on a film EOS Canon will be ok, they don't need to be 'L' lenses. I have 28/50/100 Canon lenses. The 50mm f1.8 in particular is great value.

In addition you can use Leica R, Nikon and Contax lenses with an adaptor. Manual focus and stop down metering, but they work well. Non-EOS Canon lenses that were meant to be used on their manual focus pre-EOS cameras can't be used. Then they switched to the EOS AF mount they left the old lenses behind.
oakeycoke
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by oakeycoke »

Lee,

Steve is right the EF-S lenses only fit reduced frame sensors.

For the price of a 5D you could get the 40D and a decent L lens and get some change.

The 40D gets good reviews, I think anyone would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a 40D and L lens and the 5D when viewed at A3.

Phil
TerryMooney

Post by TerryMooney »

Lee - There is also an adaptor available to use the older Canon FD lenses on the Canon EOS 5D.

Auto Focus is not available with this combination and the camera has to be set on Manual - but the Exposure Metering works.

I've just received this adaptor and have used an old Macro lens from my Canon A1 - works a treat.

TerryMooney
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Post by sunsworth »

Terry, but does it allow infinity focussing? I know that after the release of the EOS system Canon released an adaptor with a glass element, but all the reports I've read of it say that the image quality isn't very good - and that it's very rare.

There may be adaptors without the glass, but they wouldn't be able to focus to infinity as the film/sensor distance is greater with the EOS system than with the FD.
TerryMooney

Post by TerryMooney »

S Unsworth - Yes the Adaptor has a glass element and yes it does focus to infinity with the Canon FD Macro lens on the Canon EOS 5D.

I hav'nt tried it on the EOS 10 or EOS 3 film cameras (will do later) but I purchased it especially for use on the 5D.

TerryMooney
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Post by sunsworth »

Terry, thanks for the update.
Lee Bold
Photographer
Photographer

Post by Lee Bold »

Thanks for the info its better to ask people who use these camera's as most manufacturer reviews do seem to give the plus sides. I'll have to have a look at the 40D and then badger the wife to let me spend some money.
Thanks Lee :D :D :D