The Delusion of the Compact Camera

All things relating to Digital Photography
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

The Delusion of the Compact Camera

Post by John »

Over many years it has always been the same search - photographers have wanted an SLR-quality camera that they can carry anywhere. One for a jacket pocket or a handbag as the case may be. This has always been pretty much an illusion. It has also cost a fortune if we add up all those likely cameras that proved to be not really that much use. Image quality has always been the killer problem and even today we need to be very careful as to what we buy.

Bridge cameras can be very acceptable, but too bulky for a pocket. CSCs are much better quality, but need a camera bag just like the DSLR. So we are down to compact cameras that are actually worth using.

So, this thread is about your experiences and recommendations. I always carry a camera. When I do the announcements every week I'm carrying a camera. In my pocket is a waterproof (to 6m depth) compact, so I'm prepared for any weather. Is it good enough: For web: Yes For Digital Competitions: Yes For print competitions: No My compact is the Pentax W90, curreent model is the WG-2. 3S

Sue carries in her handbag an Olympus ZX-1. This has a slightly larger sensor and an f/1.8 - f/2.5 zoom lens, so it's a slightly different beast. Larger so only just possible for a pocket, with difficulty. Excellent lens. Web: Yes Digital Comp: Yes Print Comp: Yes The only downside is that it's fiddly to use and settings can easily get changed by mistake. 4S

So over to you - what suggestions do you have, and do please give the one word yes/no assessment as well as to what it can be used for.
Best regards

John
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Re: The Delusion of the Compact Camera

Post by yachtsman1 »

I got fed up carting around all the parafenalia associated with a DSLR & sold my D90 early last year & bought a Panasonic FZ150. The photo quality in most instances is equal to the Nikon, it's only in low light situations it suffers. As a bonus however the video production is excellent. I don't do serious camera club activities any more such as prints, only AV, so I am happy & have taken more keepers with it than any other of my previous DSLR's (I started with DSLR's, a D200 in 2007.) The thing I miss most is the view finder, the Panasonic can't fit anything to protect my specs, I tried fitting some sponge rubber but that fell off over the summer. I'm 72 now & I don't think I will go back to a DSLR. I'm trying to persuade my wife to sell her D40 & buy one like mine, but I think she likes the image she creates when other compact users see her with the D40 & the 18-105VR & lens hood, but still, she's a youngster of 71. :lol:
Still miss my A1 though. :-O
Regards Eric
mark dyson
Photographer
Photographer

Post by mark dyson »

I carry a Olympus MUJ 35mm film compact which is full frame in digital terms so I can get the quality from a small pocket sized camera.
Walter Brooks
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Walter Brooks »

But don't ignore it's predecessor the XA with its pin sharp lens, full frame, aperture priority with exposure compensation.

As for my little Canon A480 - point and shoot auto mode and if I want to change the exposure I just manipulate the variety of scene modes.

What more could I ask for from the humble compact that comes with a compact price tag too?

W 8)
“The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.”
― Dorothea Lange
viraleye
Initiate
Initiate

Post by viraleye »

i started off with a Sony NEX a year ago as I did not want a great big bulky camera to carry around. The camera gave me some pretty amazing photos, but was often a pain with the settings as you would have to go into menu settings to alter things.

A year later and i have really got the camera bug so bought a DSLR and now I can see the benefits of both systems.

If you was to compare a compact and DSLR the sensors are more often than not identical(apart from micro 4 thirds) so a lot of it comes down to personal preference.
Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

The Ricoh GR is the first one I've used that actually does have the same output as an APS-C DSLR.
Best regards

John
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

I bought a Canon IXUS 50 and wast so pleased with it that later I bought an IXUS 75, which is only 7Mpixels, ISO 1600 and 3x zoom, but it's a great little camera, about 1cm thick and just bigger than credit card size - great for the pocket. I'm very happy with it as camera to keep with me when I'm out and about.
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."