Nikon 17-55mm lens...

All things relating to Digital Photography
ColiNfr
Initiate
Initiate

Nikon 17-55mm lens...

Post by ColiNfr »

Hi all,

Been a long time for me to post on here, work eh, got to be done to pay the bills :) Anyways, reason for posting is this.

Thinking of getting a 18-200mm VR lens for the S5, but been told by a few wedding photographers that the better lens would be the 17-55 nikon lens, its a f2.8 where the VR is f3.5 Trouble is, no one i know has this lens, so i cant test it or get hands on views and its £702+VAT.... alot of money to spend on a lens without havign someone else say ya or nay about it..

So, anyone used this lens before?

let me know how it preforms please.

<ColiN>
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Nikon 17-55mm lens...

Post by John »

I have no doubt at all that any professionally-priced Nikkor lens will be anything but superb. Even without testing it I would buy it with confidence, but why not see if it has been tested on

http://www.photodo.com
Best regards

John
ColiNfr
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ColiNfr »

Cheers John,

I have indeed read some reviews and people say its a good lens. But i would prefer the thoughts of anyone I knew who had one more than someone i dont know on a web site, if you know what i mean.

Still, only heard 1 person say anything bad about it so far on any sites i have read, so that has to say something about it.. Just dont want to spend £800 on a lens lol...

<ColiN>
bert haddock
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by bert haddock »

Hi,
I tried the 17-55 lens but for me it hadn't enough reach, I bought the 18-200VR and it is a superb lens,
with the VR I can use it at boxing events etc in low light without flash without any disturbance to the contestants.
With this lens and my Sigma 50-500 they are all I need to cover any events sporting or otherwise.
Regards Bert.
:-d :-d :-d :-d :-d :-d
ColiNfr
Initiate
Initiate

Post by ColiNfr »

Cheers Bert,

For sport, if i could get into any to shoot, the 70-200 vr would be great - but for weddings, i really need wide angle lens for group shots...

Now been told the tamron lens, at £500 less is almost as good, great, now got two lenses to try, if i had enough money id buy the nikon 17-55 and the 70-200 vr, but not until i win the lottery!

ColiN - of to calumet to go test some lenses!