All things relating to Digital Photography
Darren
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: No

LANDSCAPE TRIPOD RECOMMENDATIONS

Post by Darren »

Hi ADAPSsters

Could any of you landscape guys/girls recommend a really good tripod for landscape photography. The reason I'm asking is simply because I've had trouble keeping my camera completely still when shooting multi-exposure HDR or long exposure landscape photography on windy days.
I've tired a cheaper Manfrotto tripod but I find them completely useless in this situation. It would appear manufacturers are marketing tripods on their size and weight. Many are carbon and very lite which is great for travel and quick setup, but if you're in a field on a windy day would this not be completely useless.
So I'm looking for a tripod with a nice ball head with enough height (5' 4") without using the centre column as a height extender as this seems to create even more instability as the law of physics would suggest.

Thanks again for all helpful comments and opinions in advance.

Merry Christmas and wishing you all a Happy New Year also in advance.

Regards Darren Andrews :-]
Text replies to 07813525455 are also welcome if this is easier.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: LANDSCAPE TRIPOD RECOMMENDATIONS

Post by John »

I use a Manfrotto 055 which is heavy enough for most applications.

However, a windy day will create problems for anything, not least the subject. The trees and grass will move in the wind as well, so your HDR might end up looking a bit odd.

But you do need a solid metal tripod in any event.
Best regards

John
Darren
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: No

Post by Darren »

Hi John,

I was looking at the Manfrotto 055 aluminium with ball head and also the MeFoto Globe trotter with ball head.

http://www.mefoto.com/products/globetrotter.aspx

What do you think of this John?

Cheers Darren
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

I think the Manfrotto is the more stable bet. It has fewer leg sections as well, so that helps stability. I did test the 3 Legged Thing for ePHOTOzine and was very impressed with Eddie, but that's still a travel tripod and probably not what you are needing.
Best regards

John
Walter Brooks
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Walter Brooks »

The Manfrotto 057 Carbon Fibre Tripod 4 Section will certainly give you the height you want and more and with change for a coffee out of £700 legs only, but the better option maybe the Giotto YTL 9213 at a more modest £130 legs only ... or the stalwart Manfrotto 055. Other options - one of those three cornered slings to put between the tripod legs that can hold a camera bag or other weight or clamp a boom arm counter balance weight to the centre column ...
Regards
W 8)
“The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.”
― Dorothea Lange
mark dyson
Photographer
Photographer

Post by mark dyson »

I have used a 055 for the past 28 years doing landscape and nature. I have subjected it to a lot of hard use and still works well. It's heavy but that is where the stability come in.