Cheap ink cartridges with quality ink....

All things relating to Digital Photography
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair
Spam Protection: No

Cheap ink cartridges with quality ink....

Post by melbarnes »

Can anyone recommend a source of ink cartridges for Canon printers (other than Canon's own cartridges, which are damn expensive)? I have used some 3rd party cartridges from Ebay, but the colours are awful. I remember someone at ADAPS saying (a long time ago) that they had found a cheap source of good quality ink cartridges - please let me know if it was you. Ta!
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Cheap ink cartridges with quality ink....

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Hi Mel

We get ours from a company called "Inkredible", they are not genuine Canon but they are very good and are an excellent price. Here is a link to their website: http://www.inkredible.co.uk/

They also send you regular offers on top of the cheap prices.

Tracey
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

Thanks Tracey for the prompt reply - much appreciated, and it's great to have a personal recommendation.

I've just bought a Canon MX925 printer, and a set of genuine Canon cartridges costs nearly £60. Sixty quid for a bit of ink - they are having a laugh!!
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by PhilipHowe »

Mel, as I think you're saying, you get what you pay for.
I've usually had two printers on the go, one with compatible ink for documents and one with good ink, for photos etc. I ended up going the other way and found some ink that I was happy with that was a lot more expensive than the manufacturer's ink.

You won't find any cheap inks that have good colour Mel, that's why they're cheap.

The only other way is to get a continuous ink system (CISS), but the problem you have then is you have to do a lot of prints, as the ink gets sticky when exposed to air for the first time, and can clog your printer.

The XL cartridges on Amazon are 60 quid for a full set, which, to be honest, I personally don't think that's bad.
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Phil's probably right. I don't print many of my pictures using the cheap inks, if I want any of them printing then I send them to DSCL. I sometimes make cards using my pictures and the cheap inks are ok for that purpose but I probably wouldn't use them to compete with.

But for general printing, documents etc, then the cheap inks are perfectly fine.

Tracey
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by yachtsman1 »

Hi Mel
Just seen this post. I bought a Canon MX925 last year as a replacement for my dedicated Canon Pixma 4500, which had unfortunately become redundant only because the original software wouldn't load on my new PC. (Canon disclaimed any responsibility for the situation as usual). I bought the 925 as it was the only one of a couple in Canon's range that would direct print onto CD/DVD's. My previous 4500 must have printed over 300 A4 sized prints & 500 CD/DVD's, but always with Canon ink & paper & good results.
The 925 however is another story, totally user unfriendly, slow & noisy are the main things that come to mind. Up to last November I had only used it to print text on normal paper, then I tried to print mono images on cheap photo gloss paper, all with the ink supplied. The ink wouldn't dry & eventually after applying some heat, it did dry, but could be scratched at the slightest touch. Complained to Canon, they said use their paper, which I did & the image dried as it came out of the printer.
I'm blathering on here, but to sum up, the 925 is not a dedicated photo printer, it's an "all in one" jack of all trades & master of none. Mine is now consigned to printing text & DVD's & I've replaced the ink with cheepo ink from Amazon which is fine for text. see
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K ... detailpage
Don't shoot the message carrier :roll: Eric.
PS the best way to get comp' quality prints is (if you can find one) a print shop (& I don't mean Boots).
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

Thanks Phil, Tracey, Eric. I always use DC Colour Labs for my competition prints. I use the Canon printer for any other colour work, and my HP Laserjet for text printing. So as long as I can get reasonable colours, then I'm happy - it's just that the prints on my Canon Pixma 4200 came out with awful colours when I used a cheaper ink. I've taken Tracey's advice and bought a cheap set from Inkredible, and I'll try them out once I've use the 'freebie' set that came with the printer. If I don't get good results, then I'll take Phil's advice and get the pucker set. Cheers folks!