40D Batteries

All things relating to Digital Photography
Lee Bold
Photographer
Photographer

40D Batteries

Post by Lee Bold »

Having just gotten hold of my new canon 40D eventually, i won't bore you with the past 7 weeks.
I was wondering about the batteries as i have a 300D with quite a few spare BP-511 batteries,
but on the 40D they are BP-511A, are they compatable with each camera or will i need to buy new BP-511A for my 40D.
I don't want to just try them in case it does some damage.
Now all i need is a canon 24-105mm F4L IS Lens and i'll be the happiest bunny taking rubbish photos, Ha Ha
Hope you can help
Lee
oakeycoke
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: 40D Batteries

Post by oakeycoke »

Lee,

You shouldn't have any problem with the batteries, i've used ones from 7dayshop.com in my 20D rated at different mAh with no problem. I've also found that my old MV150i digital camcorder uses the same style of batteries though they dont have the groove in the back opposite the terminals. Again they work in the 20D.

I've forgotten the exact difference between the BP511 and 511A, but i think its just the rating, the voltage is the same. Also the BP512 fits, they are all rated at 7.4Volts just different mAh, the bigger the mAh the longer they should last when shooting.

Phil.
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Post by sunsworth »

The "A' batteries hold slightly more charge. Other than that they are interchangeable.
Lee Bold
Photographer
Photographer

Post by Lee Bold »

Thanks for the info, I've just tried them and everythings working fine
Thanks again
Lee :-d :-d :-d