help with picture

A home for images for discussion and appraisal
jane-f

help with picture

Post by jane-f »

Hi

is there any way can i stop the flash bouncing off eyes,
i use a cannon power shot A630, its not a bad camera when i don't use the flash,
but if its a very over cast day the pictures go blurred if i don't use it,
the pictures i take are mainly of the dogs, mine and a lot of others :oops: ,

i am still getting to grips using this camera and theres still a lot on it ive not a clue how to use,
so i am hoping to be joining the club in the next couple of weeks,
This was taken a few days ago of a friends new foster dog with her own dog sat behind,
the pictures normally are used for the dogs re-homing thread.

John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: help with picture

Post by John »

The red eye is because the flash is so close to the camera lens and the light bounces straight off the retina, which is blood-rich and therefore red.

The cures are to change the angle of the shot so the dog is not looking straight into the lens; or use a flash off the camera; use a camera with built in red-eye reduction; move further away with a longer lens; use software such as Photoshop to remove the effect; use a red eye pen on a print which spots out the red.

Hope that helps!

Welcome to the forum!

:-]
Best regards

John
Walter Brooks
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Walter Brooks »

The Powershot A630 has red-eye reduction :-] , which should help you to eliminate the problem, regards

Walter
“The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.”
― Dorothea Lange
Theo Dibbits
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Theo Dibbits »

30 seconds in photoshop

Theo
jane-f

Post by jane-f »

Thank you Theo :D , i really should get hold of photoshop.

Paul, the camera was in program mode, it does have AP, TV, custom and manual,
i bought it as i thought it would be a good cheaper camera to learn everything before i even thought of
buying an slr, but i have been a bit laxed at playing about with it, think in some respects cameras can be a bit daunting,
thats one of the reasons in deciding to come to the club,i will be there hopefully in a couple of weeks,
due to working nights i have to try and sort my nights out so as i can get there,

anyway i decided to get off my backside and have a play with it this morning after work,
its only the cat, but its a start, and i found i really enjoyed playing with the exposure,
trying different ways a lot of them did end up very over exposed,
all where taken indoors with the curtains shut and using flash,

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p101 ... Kit%20Kat/

Thanks jane
Theo Dibbits
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Theo Dibbits »

I found this piece of information whilst working my way through some flash tutorials:

"Interestingly enough, flash photography of cats and dogs can involve a similar, but slightly different, problem. Cats and dogs have a reflective membrane in their eyes called the tapetum lucidum, which helps their night vision. The tapetum reflects light from a flash unit very efficiently, and tends to colour it green, yellow or blue. The membrane also explains why the eyes of animals like cats or deer by the side of the road at night are clearly visible as brilliant points of light. Humans lack this layer and so we don’t have tapetal reflections. "

So photographing them with the light in the back should reduce the effect.

Theo
jane-f

Post by jane-f »

Theo Dibbits wrote:I found this piece of information whilst working my way through some flash tutorials:

"Interestingly enough, flash photography of cats and dogs can involve a similar, but slightly different, problem. Cats and dogs have a reflective membrane in their eyes called the tapetum lucidum, which helps their night vision. The tapetum reflects light from a flash unit very efficiently, and tends to colour it green, yellow or blue. The membrane also explains why the eyes of animals like cats or deer by the side of the road at night are clearly visible as brilliant points of light. Humans lack this layer and so we don’t have tapetal reflections. "

So photographing them with the light in the back should reduce the effect.

Theo
Thanks for that info Theo,
sorry ive not replied, between work,dogs and emergency's
its been a hectic couple of weeks :roll: ,

Hopefully i will be there next thursday :-d at the club.