Three bridges

A home for images for discussion and appraisal
collier15
Spam Protection: No

Three bridges

Post by collier15 »

I've been to the famous pennington flash today with new camera trying to get to make good friends with him seams to ok at the moment. I took this shot looked ok on screen but turned out better than i thought will keep trying to get better shots
Attachments
DSC_0040.JPG
DSC_0040.JPG (196.14 KiB) Viewed 5458 times
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Three bridges

Post by Janice Freeman »

It is a nice clear shot and seems to be well focused and exposed (to me!) The D5100 is a very nice camera to work with. I now have the D7000 and am having a lot of fun with it. ADAPs has always told me that the best way to learn is to get out and do it - and they are quite right. You should also come along to the next critique session. I was given so much useful advice and pointers. Happy days :) keep it going.

Janice
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Decent exposure and composition. :D

As a record of the location it's fine, however, for me, there's not much to 'look at' in the picture. Because everything is so green the only thing that really stands out is the yellow bridge support.

I feel that the bridges aren't a strong enough point of interest in their own. If you had a couple of kids playing on the bridge, a man walking a dog, or a couple of ducks on the water it could have given the image more interest.

Just trying to be constructive. Keep practising and enjoying your new camera! ;-]
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

The exposure is good. The problem I see is the division of interest in the picture. The subject looks as though it should be the canal. Water attracts. But we are constantly dragged away from that by the yellow bridge beyond, in a totally different direction. Three bridges need to be connected in some way to be the same subject. Here they are different subjects, all competing for attention.

Hope that helps!
Best regards

John
collier15

Post by collier15 »

I found another pic with ducks on it (photoshop not very good). I see what you mean it does take your eye to the yellow bridge.
will keep trying

Michael :-d
Attachments
DSC_40.jpg
DSC_40.jpg (181.46 KiB) Viewed 5399 times
collier15

Post by collier15 »

I see your points and are noted but i dont mind taking photo's of adults but as for children not keen for obvious reasons unless i know them or got permission to take their photo. As for the updated photo could'nt resist to put some duck's on someone said at work you should have put titanic on then it would have took the focus of the bridge.

Michael :-d
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

collier15 wrote: I see what you mean it does take your eye to the yellow bridge.
will keep trying

It's good that you're taking comments on board in a good manner Michael and that you want to keep trying to improve.

I'm aware that my comments can sometimes come across as a bit blunt, but I try to be helpful. 8)

None of us gets it right all the time. I've been practising photography for 15 years now. I still make mistakes and take cr@p shots that get deleted. We all do, I'm sure.

It's a good idea to review the images you take after each photography shoot and examine what you did right and what you could have done better. How was the exposure? Are the images sharp and if not, why not? Did you choose the best composition? How could you have framed the shot differently? Is there a point of interest in the photo?

In time you'll become your own 'judge' and your photography will get better and better.
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."