Empire State Building N.Y

A home for images for discussion and appraisal
Dennis G
Spam Protection: No

Empire State Building N.Y

Post by Dennis G »

Taken during our trip to N.Y SOME YEARS AGO NOW, I didn't really see or notice the interest in this shot until i looked at it properly just recently, just my humble opinion.
Attachments
Empire State Building, N.Y.jpg
Empire State Building, N.Y.jpg (158.66 KiB) Viewed 8374 times
Kind Regards

Dennis
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Empire State Building N.Y

Post by John »

I like it, nice dramatic shot and the flag adds a certain something to the composition.
Best regards

John
Dennis G

Post by Dennis G »

Thanks John, appreciate your comments
Kind Regards

Dennis
Stu B
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by Stu B »

Personally I loved this image. A great, in your face. tub thumping all American brand. A country united behind its flag, What did perplexed me a little. Was the building to the right. Should it be there, should it not. At first I thought it gave the picture scale and drama. The State building, punching through the skyline, and should stay in. On a second look, I felt it was a little too dominant and should be taken away. Using the converging vertical to give a sense of height. But then I feel it left the image somewhat less interesting. Should it or shouldn't it. I would be interested in the owners and members thoughts on the matter.

Well done Dennis, on a super thought provoking image....
Attachments
ny.jpg
ny.jpg (235.71 KiB) Viewed 8343 times
Regards

Stuart....
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

An interesting and good point Stu. I am not noted for my composition - however, if you lose the building on the right, it leaves a lot of negative space. I think this would work if the flag was at a different angle and instead of pointing across to the building was slightly more upright and pointing towards the sky and top of the skyscraper - but is that then too much manipulation of what is already a very good image? By the way, questions like this are sooo good for us learners and the responses even more enlightening.

Jan
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
Dennis G

Post by Dennis G »

Hi Stu, Janice,

Thanks for the fantastic comments by the way much appreciated, that said when i took the photo i wasn't as image savvy as i am now or like to think i am, i've read copious amounts of literature on the subject so in response to your comments Stu when i looked again at the image recently i realised the dramaic scene and the P.O.I within, with regards to the the building on the right i thought as you mentioned that it gave a converging sense of scale to both buildings as well as showing the sheer size of ESB , it also gave the flag a sense of belonging to something (if that makes sense) but your cropped version does give it a new dimension and definately food for thought.

Thanks Guy's.
Kind Regards

Dennis
Stu B
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Stu B »

Hi Dennis...

Yes, take your thoughts on the flag. As I had thought the same. It needs to be attached. If my manipulation skills, were of a standard to have straightened the building on the right and left just a sliver of it still in frame. I would have chosen that option..
Regards

Stuart....
Dennis G

Post by Dennis G »

Hi Stu

Could be an interesting mini project, when i get a bit of time i will give it a go, see how that pans out.
Kind Regards

Dennis
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Stu B wrote: ... the building to the right. Should it be there, should it not.
I'd say keep the building in the shot. It gives the overall image more substance.
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Dennis G

Post by Dennis G »

Morning all,

Just thought i would post this before leaving for work, thought about Stu's suggestion and so i played around with the image a little on photoshop last night, straightening both buildings and merged both halfs together again on a new plain background, not sure the straightened buildings add or subtract anything compared to the original image i posted.
Attachments
Empire State Building, both buildings straightened.jpg
Empire State Building, both buildings straightened.jpg (141.34 KiB) Viewed 8283 times
Kind Regards

Dennis
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Probably does it no favours. The original has lines that lead inwards towards a vanishing point, giving the sense of height. The straight version points randomly upwards and the two buildings are therefore detached and don't interact visually.

We'll be thinking about things like this tonight in the Critique night, so if you feel like bringing both versions along, please do so.
Best regards

John
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by PhilipHowe »

I say original, I think it's framed better.
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68