Latest Picture

A home for images for discussion and appraisal
collier15
Spam Protection: No

Latest Picture

Post by collier15 »

This was took this afternoon on scotsmans flash Wigan opposite the Wigan sailing club. I took it for the dark clouds and blue sky just and shadows on the water.
And if you were wondering i did get wet.

Michael :-d
Attachments
Wigan Sailing Club.jpg
Wigan Sailing Club.jpg (180.92 KiB) Viewed 5611 times
Dennis G

Re: Latest Picture

Post by Dennis G »

Nice dramatic sky, nice effort, just a tip for better water reflection try to choose a time when the water is at its calmest with barley a ripple that could be very early in the morning you will find you can achieve much clearer reflections, stormy water rarely produce decent reflections.
Kind Regards

Dennis
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Hi Michael

A good effort at capturing the dramatic clouds, which is what you had intended. However, as a picture, I find that it lacks a focal point, apart from the bouy, which is just a little on the small side to keep your attention, plus it's very central in the frame, also the horizon looks like it is leaning a bit to the right. But getting back to the clouds, they are well composed which can be a bit tricky due to the wide range from almost white to very dark, you have handled that well and managing to retain the detail.

Keep clicking ;-]

Tracey
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

Hi Michael. I like the dramatic sky very much and like Tracey think you have captured it really well. Also agree that the horizon needs to be straightened. When you see the drama unfolding in a scene it is hard to remember a point of focus to grab the attention of the viewer - something I frequently forget!! We need to work on it, however, enthusiasm overtakes my memory!. Great attempt.

Janice.
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
mikeaspinall
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by mikeaspinall »

Hi Michael

Have to echo the comments made so far. I wonder if you cropped say a third off the water the eye would then
be taken even more to the very nice sky. As it is you have the horizon pretty well across the middle of the picture
but taking out some of the foreground would lower it to about the thirds principle.
Keep on taking the pictures my friend. You are getting the hang of it with your new toy. Perhaps you could bring
some pictures on Thursday night.
Cheers

Michael
collier15

Post by collier15 »

Thanks guys for your comments as before i just really took this for the sky but i see what you mean about the horizon not exactly straight due to me being lazy i could not be bothered carrying the tripod and was not expecting a sky like this (damm) and cutting the water down also the bouy that i did'nt even see it when i took the picture.
But this was also a practice run for the special comp in december it came out of the camera renamed it and posted it. This picture has never heard of photoshop

Michael :-d
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Excellent, at least you are thinking ahead and for that you have got to be commended. Keep getting out there and practicing, it can only improve on what you have already learned and know.

Tracey