Latest Picture

A home for images for discussion and appraisal
collier15
Spam Protection: No

Latest Picture

Post by collier15 »

I went for walk to Worthington lakes in Standish and thought i will try and have a go at hdr and tone mapping and this is what i came up with.

Thanks
Michael :-d
Attachments
Worthington lakes.jpg
Worthington lakes.jpg (139 KiB) Viewed 6532 times
Stbourne
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Latest Picture

Post by Stbourne »

Great image Michael, makes me smile to look at. Love the
light and reflections on the water.

Regards
collier15

Post by collier15 »

Cheers Shaun,

It's my first proper attempt at hdr with 8 images and playing with tone mapping
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

OK chaps, I stand quietly rebuked for being reluctant to comment on posted images - mainly because I don't know what I am talking about :lol: So here goes. I really like this image and the treatment of it with HDR is so subtle and natural. I would probably like to see it a little bit lighter - but then I do tend to overdo mine! A really good image.

Janice.
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Hi Michael

This is a good first attempt at HDR, you have not over cooked it like many people do when they first start using Photomatix, it's easy to crank all the sliders up, then you end up with weird effects but a good HDR looks like it hasn't been HDR'd (if you know what I mean :? ).

A couple of things I picked up on......

With HDR's, the sky can look a bit funny as the clouds move in each frame, this can look like you have double vision. I find the best way to correct this is to either clone in or copy under the HDR sky, one of your better exposed skies from one of your 8 images, then with the rubber tool, rub out the HDR sky leaving the best exposed sky coming through.

There is a dark blob to the bottom right of the image, I'd be tempted to clone this out as I find it a bit of a distraction.

The bridge sits directly in front of the tree line behind it, I think there needs to be some separation as the detail of the bridge gets lost against the background. The only thing I can think of to avoid this is to either crouch lower or try and get higher, but that might not always be possible.

Hope you don't mind the comments and have assumed this is why you have posted the picture.

Tracey
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

Tracey, your comments on Michaels image are really enlightening. I would never have thought about clouds moving, never noticed the black blob in the corner and the point about separating the bridge from the tree line! It just goes to show what a practiced eye can see. I am sure that Michael will find it helpful - and I most certainly did.

Janice :shock:
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

The bridge sits directly in front of the tree line behind it, I think there needs to be some separation as the detail of the bridge gets lost against the background. The only thing I can think of to avoid this is to either crouch lower or try and get higher, but that might not always be possible.
Tracey has spotted the thing that was troubling me as well. The overall effect of the picture is very good, I particularly like the darkness of the HDR treatment, but it's the fine details of the composition that let it down a bit. Having said that, knowing the location I have no solution to offer as the options for viewpoint are very limited.

Perhaps Tracey you should think about picking up your judging again?
Best regards

John
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Tracey McGovern wrote: The bridge sits directly in front of the tree line behind it, I think there needs to be some separation as the detail of the bridge gets lost against the background.
Hi MIchael

I like the colours and tones.

I agree with Tracey's comment, and I also wonder if you could have moved your position so that the jetty was coming into the shot more from the bottom left hand corner? Can you go back there and take shots from a better viewpoint?
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
collier15

Post by collier15 »

Thanks guys for all your comments i think i did quite well for a first attempt
as for most peoples comment about the blob at the bottom corner yes i did miss it and yes you caught me out it was the wall i was shooting over
and for the water tower and the trees as john said it is quite limited for a really good viewpoint
but i will go back and try again for a better shot

Thanks again

Michael :-d