A home for images for discussion and appraisal
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Loosening Up, Family Photos and Having Fun

Post by John »

020 Amelia Jane and Friends.jpg
020 Amelia Jane and Friends.jpg (363.61 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
Amelia Jane and her "daughters", caught on the Ricoh GR at 2/2.8 with a slow shutter speed of 1/15s. ISO 1000. The JPEG capture was shot using the Tungsten 1 setting as this was in her house by whatever light was available.

As I looked on it on Facebook and noticed a few "likes" I thought maybe sometimes what we are missing in club photography is just the pure joy of shooting pictures for pleasure, randomly, without having any great Artistic Pretentions. We do get very serious don't we? And by doing so just sometimes a bit of spontineity can be lost. This in turn makes our club photography duller as it loses the joy and becomes a mechanical process, or at least it can do.

So don't forget the family photos and the photos of life as it unfolds before our eyes. Amelia Jane shared her "daughters" with me and explained that they weren't very well and needed to be tucked into bed, which she did with a pillow. She was very happy when I suggested we should take their picture, and immediately joined in. Actually, I like the lighting on it, very vivid and spectacular for a living room snapshot!
Best regards

John
Stbourne
Elite Member
Elite Member
Spam Protection: No

Re: Loosening Up, Family Photos and Having Fun

Post by Stbourne »

Hi John,
Having fun is definately 1 of the motivations of taking
up photography as a hobby.
Unfortunately I personally don't like to share with
the world images of my family unless there are restrictions
on the viewing audience.
It was a subject I was going to speak to you about,
but wondered if there could be a members only area for help
with these kinds of image where general public
don't have access.

Just a thought?

Regards
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

If you log out and look at the forum you'll see the areas that disappear from view. Members announcements can only be seen by forum members, not guests. However, posting of pictures isn't really the intention of that forum. There's an expectation that if we post pictures we want them to be seen.

So, probably best to use the Facebook page and restrict the ability to view to just friends?
Best regards

John
Stbourne
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Stbourne »

Thanks John,
I'll just utilise the workshop days I think.

Regards
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

John wrote: As I looked on it on Facebook and noticed a few "likes"
I do wonder whether these random 'likes' mean anything? Having seen Mrs J's Facebook account it seems her friends will "like" anything she posts just for the sake of it. Am I being cynical? I'm not a FB user so perhaps not best placed to comment.

Note - that's not to say that there isn't nothing to 'like' about your photo. :D
John wrote: I thought maybe sometimes what we are missing in club photography is just the pure joy of shooting pictures for pleasure, randomly, without having any great Artistic Pretentions. We do get very serious don't we? And by doing so just sometimes a bit of spontineity can be lost. This in turn makes our club photography duller as it loses the joy and becomes a mechanical process, or at least it can do.
Much of what I choose to shoot is now shot for me and for fun rather than any other agenda. But, yes, some people can take it all awfully serious.
I've been there, and got the t-shirt. 8) :lol:

I actually originally got into photography many years ago because I wanted to take pictures of my son, so I can empathise with your sentiments here , John. Of course, as they have got older my children are less inclined to 'pose' for the camera.

You've captured a unique moment for the family album (do people have family albums anymore?)
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Stu B
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by Stu B »

Well said John. I couldn't agree with your sentiments more if id have written it myself...
Regards

Stuart....
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by PhilipHowe »

"LIKE"
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68