My first proper attempt at a studio portrait.

A home for images for discussion and appraisal
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair
Spam Protection: No

My first proper attempt at a studio portrait.

Post by melbarnes »

I recently had a go at portraits, but encountered some difficulty with the lighting; however, after some valuable help and advice from Tracey and Paul Jones, I had another attempt and got this photo of Matt.

I would appreciate any criticism (be as blunt as you need), or comments on how my technique / processing could be improved to get me up to competition standard.

Mel Barnes
Attachments
Matt
Matt
Matt 1653 - 2.jpg (205.23 KiB) Viewed 10183 times
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: My first proper attempt at a studio portrait.

Post by Paul Jones »

No-one...?

The shot was taken in Mel's home studio on Sunday night. I was on hand to offer some advice.

Mel had about an an hour to setup the lights and establish rapport with Matt and for a first session I think he did really well. I'm sure the next session will be even better. :D
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

melbarnes wrote: I would appreciate any criticism (be as blunt as you need), or comments on how my technique / processing could be improved to get me up to competition standard.
Hi Mel

I just had another look at this and opened it up on my PC. One suggestion I have is to perhaps reduce the amount of red in his skin tones. A quick way to achieve this would be open up a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and select RED then slide it to around -6 or -7. See what you think.

In most human skin tones the amount of yellow should be higher than magenta (red) You can check the amounts in the Info palette.

This webpage explains it better than me: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93363
Paul
================

melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

Hi Paul

Thanks for the tip - I really appreciate tips like this - it helps me to learn (from the pros!). I'll try this out tomorrow - Gwen and I have just returned from the photo battle with Swinton and we've had a most enjoyable night, but are a little tired. We also met your brother for the first time, and Gwen thanked him for selecting her photo for the forum competition. We hope you'll put an entry in to the forum competition - it will be interesting to see what song is chosen, and how they interpret it via their photos!

Cheers

Mel
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by PhilipHowe »

I like his expression. It's really hard when photographing a male not to make him look really camp. I've seen men and women do this.
As a portrait, it's a good one, as a first portrait, it's a great one.
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Paul's attempt...

Post by Paul Jones »

When I was helping Mel setup on Sunday I took a few test shots and Mel has said he doesn't mind me posting one in his thread.

Feel free to make any comments.

Paul
================

mark dyson
Photographer
Photographer

Post by mark dyson »

I have noticed the right (his left) eye looks smaller than his other and his ear(his left) looks like it is set to far back around the neck. Is this due to it being in shadow. I like the shot as I do most of your pics but that is what I noticed.
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

mark dyson wrote:I have noticed the right (his left) eye looks smaller than his other and his ear(his left) looks like it is set to far back around the neck. Is this due to it being in shadow. I like the shot as I do most of your pics but that is what I noticed.
Hi Mark

I think the ear is possibly due to shadows (?)

When taking the shot I was asking him to lean forward and give me a slight squint, which may be what you're seeing.
Also, it's a fact that a lot of people have one eye smaller than the other.

( Note to Philip- Hurley turtleneck / squint! ) 8)
Paul
================

mark dyson
Photographer
Photographer

Post by mark dyson »

Not done much in the way of using studio lighting so thought I would ask.
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Hi

I know I shouldn't compare the two pictures because one is from a new photographer finding his feet and one is from an established portraiture photographer so it's not really a level playing field. Having said that, if Mel wants to progress then comparing the two images could be of some benefit to him.

When I first saw Mel's image a couple of days ago, I could see he had made a really good first attempt, a very good first attempt infact, but there was something about it that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Now having seen the same model by a different author, I can see what maybe could have improved his image.

1) The position of the two lights are good, one to his right and one on the left, higher up to separate the top of his head from the background, especially as he has dark hair, however the shadow on the left side of his face is quite dark, a reflector could have helped lift some of the detail on that side of his face.

2) The position Mel was in when he took the picture is the same level as the model. Just comparing this to Pauls, who was looking slightly down on the model has helped the composition.

3) I find Mel's picture quite contrasty and a bit too saturated, so the overall image looks a bit harsher comparing it to Pauls.

Mel - I hope these comments have helped. There is no denying that for a first attempt, it's really good, keep it up. ;-]

Tracey
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

Hi Tracey,

I totally agree with your comments, especially the one about the level of my camera relative to his face. Also I had a reflector with me on the night, but I didn't use it for all of the shots. I will take your comments on board for the next photoshoot that I do.

I particularly like the way that Paul has altered the skin tones on his image. I am grateful for all these comments - they are very welcome (providing I learn from them!!).

Thanks to all concerned.

Cheers

Mel
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Tracey McGovern wrote: 1) The position of the two lights are good, one to his right and one on the left, higher up to separate the top of his head from the background, especially as he has dark hair, however the shadow on the left side of his face is quite dark, a reflector could have helped lift some of the detail on that side of his face.

3) I find Mel's picture quite contrasty and a bit too saturated, so the overall image looks a bit harsher comparing it to Pauls.
These are very good comments Tracey and will be helpful to Mel when he does the next session.

melbarnes wrote: I particularly like the way that Paul has altered the skin tones on his image.
I shot in RAW Mel and went off the 'digital grey card' that we got Matt to hold on the first test shot to set my white balance.

It is a valid point though that every image I show has been 'post-processed'. Although there is nothing 'wrong' with my images straight out of camera I view post-processing as an integral part of digital photography. In Matt's image above I have used 10 seperate layers / adjustments to reach the final image, including skin retouching and enhancing highlights / shadows.

It's great to see you so keen to learn, Mel, and I know that in time you will become a skilful portrait photographer.
Paul
================

Stu B
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by Stu B »

This is turning into a very interesting discussion/critique of the skills of portrait photography. With some very good points being raised. For a first time effort Mel has done remarkably well. I for one congratulate him. Taking out the fact that one image has had extensive PP . The big difference, for me in the two images is posture. In Mel's image he has captured the model in a far more alert and erect posture. (Straight Back) Leaving the jawline more pronounced. As opposed to Pauls more compressed slouchy look. In Pauls Image the neck is brighter than the facial features. This coupled with the much higher, than eye level approach. Leaves me looking towards/down the shirt neckline rather than at the eyes. So there is a great deal to be admired in both of these images in my opinion. Once the same level of PP is applied.

Sorry Paul, but I also really dislike that border...
Regards

Stuart....
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Stu B wrote: This is turning into a very interesting discussion/critique of the skills of portrait photography. With some very good points being raised.
Agreed. We should have more threads like this. :D
Stu B wrote: Sorry Paul, but I also really dislike that border...
I'm actually not a fan of borders myself, so agree with you. I do, however, think that low-key portraits are often enhanced by a darker background - just the way our eyes perceive them - so that's the reason why I put the photo onto a dark mount rather than just onto the pale forum background.
Paul
================

melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

Hi Stu

Thanks for your comments; I tried to get the camera at the model's eye level, only because I thought this was the correct thing to do. However, in Paul's shot it looks to me like the model is more "connected" to the viewer. As a beginner I have little idea about the posing of models, so I tend to look at the work of others and practise those poses; however, I'm sure in time that I will create my own style of poses as I gain confidence. In the meantime I am extremely grateful for all the advice that I'm getting from ADAPS members. Thank you.

Mel