Hi,

One from last night.

Phil.
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Re: Portrait night 21st, March 2008

Post by sunsworth »

Interesting shot, but what happened to the left hand side (as we look at it) of her face and neck? Was there a yellow gell on the flash?
oakeycoke
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by oakeycoke »

Steve,

Well spotted, two studio flash, one reflected via a gold umbrella on the left and the other through a diffused white umbrella to the right, not that noticeable on the camera lcd or at the time for that matter. I could have cured it somewhat by raw processing with different white balance(twice) and then some layers/masks etc in photoshop, but this was just a quick edit. Now if i'd converted it to your infamous black/white would we see the difference? (only joking)

I could also have altered the lights at the time, but they were set up for use by the group. (excuses, excuses!)

However its a very good point and one for possible discussion when I talk about manufacturers flash in July as opposed to studio lights.(hmmm what have I let myself in for! bouncing flash of the adaps clubroom walls lol. :twisted: )

Phil
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Here's another shot from the shoot:
Best regards

John
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Post by sunsworth »

Phil, yes I prefer black and white - hope you don't mind this conversion. Let me know if you do and I'll delete the image...

I think one of the problems with the image is that it's using the Prophoto colour space. Most web browsers aren't colour space aware - Safari is the only one I'm aware of that is - so it's usually best to convert to sRGB before uploading. Looking at the portrait in Photoshop it looks a lot better than in Firefox.

I'm not a portrait shooter, but I'd also tried to do something about the twin lines on her nose - yes I know it's easy to say things like that after the event <grin>.

As so often it's the eyes that the viewer is drawn to and you've captured the sparkle of the model's personality very well.
oakeycoke
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by oakeycoke »

Steve,

The black/white conversion is fine, I'm more of a colour image person than black/white however it covers the white balance/gold reflector problem very well and if it was for a portfolio the black/white one would be the one to use. Having said that I think male models tend to look better in black/white but thats only my opinion.

The colour space, now thats made me thing because the camera is set to sRGB and photoshop likewise, though i do use the monitor calibration profile as well which is colorplus. Must keep an eye on the profiles.

I spotted the two lines on her nose and John's image has one also, I think thats down to a combination of the lights and make-up, its actually quite easy to eliminate with the spot healing, or healing brush tools in photoshop, or even some dodging but that tends to look a bit greyish. Suppose really i should have worked on that as I did lighten the eyes slightly and do a pre smart sharpen of them prior to an overall sharpening of the image, just a couple of minutes work really. I've read that pro models use make up that isn't overly flattering when viewed with the human eye, but under studio lights/flash it does not reflect the lights as much, so theres not as much post production work to do.

The web image is 280kb roughly and 8.32Mb as a raw, taken with the Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens at f/7.1, 1/160s an excellent lens. If you still have your 5D its a good one for those not so close street candid shots. I' m sure you are fibbing a bit when you say 'I'm not a portrait shooter', Wikipedia states 'Portrait photography (also known as portraiture) is the capture by means of photography of the likeness of a person or a small group of people, in which the face and its expression is predominant.' Your website proves you are an excellent portrait photographer.

Thanks for the feed back,

Phil
Mike
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by Mike »

sunsworth wrote:Most web browsers aren't colour space aware - Safari is the only one I'm aware of that is
Woot! :-d
--------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Post by sunsworth »

Phil, when I said that I'm not a portrait photographer I guess I meant posed shots under artificial light. I have no expertise of that kind of shot - though I have some thoughts about how the lighting would work best in very general terms.

In the case of street shots with longer lenses, I still have the Canon 5D (for the moment) and a 100mm f2 lens - not the macro - but in general I prefer 50mm or shorter for street photography, long lenses have too much of the 'sneaky shooter' for me - that's a personal opinion, feel free to disagree <grin>.