A home for images for discussion and appraisal
JOJO
Elite Member
Elite Member
Spam Protection: No

Pet image for critique

Post by JOJO »

19466473_10154382064853239_7509784820626711952_o.jpg
19466473_10154382064853239_7509784820626711952_o.jpg (80.58 KiB) Viewed 5770 times
This is a photo I took of my Mum's favourite child :lol: . I managed to print and frame it for her, which she loved.
I'm happy with it as it's my second attempt at changing a background etc.

I'd like to know how an image like this would do in competitions.
Do pets fair well?
I quite like the fact that Doggy isn't central, but would a judge?

Any ideas for improvement welcomed.
Joanne

"Anybody can be a great photographer if they zoom in enough on what they love." - David Bailey
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Pet image for critique

Post by John »

I think it's a lovely pet portrait!

I suppose that the focus point is slightly off as it should normally be on the eye, but really there's nothing wrong with your shot which is quite delightful. I can see why your mum loved it.

Now judges (of which I am one) are a different kettle of fish altogether and can be less receptive to pets and children, which might be seen as "family shots", but I say submit what you like and what you want people to see. Yes. technical points can be made and improved on with time, but don't lose the feeling of the shot by trying to please the judge.
Best regards

John
Stu B
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by Stu B »

Well people that know me will say I'm certainly not a pet lover.....

So im looking at your image as a straight forward portrait..

And what a delightful portrait it is.. Pets can be more difficult to shoot than models as they dont always do whats asked of them... Lovely catchlight in the eye. Nice rim light. If you have changed the background on this I certainly couldn't tell. So well done. Good use of the negative space by putting the subject on the third. The animal certainly appears at ease and happy. I dont see why this wouldn't do well in competition.... My only negative thought was I'd crop a little of the space off the top.

I Was going to add, nice to see a real photograph rather than the modern influx of composite pictures.. But as you changed the background I'm not so sure we can include it under the proper picture banner....lol Once again well done..
Regards

Stuart....
JOJO
Elite Member
Elite Member
Spam Protection: No

Post by JOJO »

Thank-you gentlemen :D
I seem to forget about the focal point, I'm that intent on taking the picture...more patience :lol:

I had wondered about cropping the top but decided to leave it due to laziness.
And I think I just got lucky with the catchlight :lol:

Thanks again,
Joanne

"Anybody can be a great photographer if they zoom in enough on what they love." - David Bailey