My Diane Arbus moment

A home for images for discussion and appraisal
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

My Diane Arbus moment

Post by sunsworth »

Taken in France at a country fair a week or two ago.

Leica M8, 24mm

I like the knives in the background, they add a bit off tension <grin>

Lee Bold
Photographer
Photographer

Post by Lee Bold »

Cracking shot steve, the little girl at the back expression of what you looking at makes the shot for me.
Lee
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Post by sunsworth »

Paul/Lee, thanks. Here's another taken a few days later in the beautiful Provencal town of Uzes. A place I'll be going back to. I only stopped for something to eat at midday and didn't have enough time to stay overnight.

These kids were playing in one of the squares in the town.

sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Post by sunsworth »

Paul, I don't think I would have taken either of these photographs over here. Too much potential hassle as you say.
Lee Bold
Photographer
Photographer

Post by Lee Bold »

I know what you mean paul i get it most weekends at the rugby club were i shoot the matches. Most parents are happy to have some photos for the scrap book but there is always one. Had to have police check done to prove i'm not a criminal or worse. I can understand in the climate now though that some people are nervous. On a serious note a lady asked me if the photographs i took were to be printed in newspapers or mags to which i replied no, then she explained that her ex partner wasn't to find out where they were living because of things that he had done to them.
I promised her that i would give her the photos and delete any originals that i had, she was happy with that but do be carful when doing candids.
Lee
keith richardson
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by keith richardson »

[quote] Does walking around with a camera automatically make one a terrorist, paedophile or other criminal?

I was in Manchester a few months ago and was stopped from photographing a well known landmark unless i signed a form promising to hand over any money i made from the sale of the picture as they owned the image, even though the building is 150 years old.
It was, he explained to combat any terrorist threat. So why would you want the money off me? I asked.
He said that if I was dressed like a muslim ( whatever that look is? ) then I wouldnt be able to take any photographs at all.

What if i was dressed like an Irishman?, i asked.

Keith.
Mike
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by Mike »

They can not prevent you from taking photographs of buildings from Public Land. That is the cut and dried rules and law of the situation. If they ask you to sign a form you can legitimately ask them to leave you alone. . . . They can stop you if the land is private property though! :D
--------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
Walter Brooks
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Walter Brooks »

We have discussed this matter before on the Forum about photographing children at events ... it was not that long ago that those of us members from Bury, used to go to the swimming baths and sports centre as part of our City and Guilds night class ... how things have changed in these PC, civil libertarian times usually as a result of fear through ignorance.

And as to buildings in Manchester that we can photograph or can't without a charge ... sounds like it could be an ADAPS group shoot.
sunsworth
Photographer
Photographer

Post by sunsworth »

Paul, of course it's your right to photograph anyone you choose, just as it's your right to wander around a dodgy area at night holding a bundle of bank notes in your hand. Unfortunately neither is always sensible and I think sometimes disgression has to be used unless you want to get into a confrontation.

Sad, but that's the reality.
Lee Bold
Photographer
Photographer

Post by Lee Bold »

I totally agree freedom to photograph any thing and anybody is a must, But sadly confrontation is an all to part of society these days as is the pc's of the world. Right or wrong, discression is somtimes to follow your instincts and do what you feel is right.
Lee