Summer Syllabus 2008

All your ideas for the website, the forums and the club
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Summer Syllabus 2008

Post by John »

The Summer Syllabus tends to be more practical and "hands on" and I'd be pleased to have all your ideas of things you would like covered.

I have already received one idea in for an evening of camera handling techniques and problems, with separate groups for Pentax, Nikon, Canon, and so on. This would cover any particular questions about each marque.

So please post a brief outline of your ideas and we'll see what we can do.
Best regards

John
Theo Dibbits
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Theo Dibbits »

Over the past 12 months I have learned most from the practical sessions such as portrait nights, the church shoot etc. particularly when you see other peoples work afterwards.

I would like more of these and here are some suggestions:
Night shoot at a location like Salford keys, Blackpool boulevard or Leigh town centre.
A Saturday or Sunday shoot at a bird of prey centre like the one in Blackrod.
A set subject shoot like bluebells at Rivington or daffodils in Haigh park.
A shoot at a motorbike race or a wildlife shoot at Mere Park.

Maybe every one who joined an event should contribute one digital image for review on lighting and composition (This could even be done on line)

I would also like to see a practical demonstration of lighting set up for portrait photography. i.e. what is the effect of different light set-ups, brollies, reflectors etc. There is no need for a model but it would be nice if we could see the result on the projector.

Any talks, lectures or workshops on composition.

I hope this helps

Theo
Alan Duckworth
Committee Member
Committee Member

Nights Out.

Post by Alan Duckworth »

John, Just a couple of suggestions for the summer syllabus. They have been done before, but a good while ago.
1. The Air & Space Museum in Manchester. This had to be on a Tuesday night, (enthusiasts night) the contact was a Mr. Nick Forder. He is still in situ, he was on telly the other night.
2. The bus museum on Queens Road/Boyle Street, Manchester. I don't have contact details for this one. It would probably have to be in June, for the light. It's in an old 'bus garage, with windows in the roof.
In the past both venues have been well supported, and produced some good prints. The advantage of going at odd times is that they allow you to go where the others cannot . There are always the old chestnuts i.e. Worsley Dry Docks. O.K. on a fine night. Weather would have to be booked in advance. Perhaps St. Marks Church at Worsley, or perhaps the Virgin of Ellenbrook. There is always a detailed examination of the inside of the Greyhound at Boothstown, or similar. Just a few of my ideas, All the best, happy snapping, Alan
Myra
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Summer Syllabus 2008

Post by Myra »

Len McNally wrote:John. I would like to see a technique weekend where we could go away on shoots as a group. We would then be able to meet and chat about about all aspects and learn off each other. To go on the weekends advertised in the photo mags costs a fortune and I am sure it could be arranged at a 1/4 of the cost. Wales/ Lakes/ Yorkshire/ Derbyshire theres loads of places less than a couple of hours away. Anyone without transport could also come as plenty of members would offer lifts.

Len What a good idea, we would both be up for that.
Myra
bert haddock
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by bert haddock »

Hi folks,
Further to Theo's ideas for above I could bring my lights, brollies, softboxes etc to the club for members to try differant forms of lighting, would be better with a relatively small group as if there are 40 plus there isnt time to keep moving the lights etc, I could also arrange to meet up with members interested in taking photos at a motorcycle meeting,
Oulton park is only an hours drive away .
Regards ,
Bert.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Many thanks for all the ideas and suggestions so far. It's all being read and digested ready for the praparation of the Summer Syllabus, which will be under way very soon!
Best regards

John
HarryG
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by HarryG »

John,
As portraiture appears to be very popular with members, perhaps we could arrange a photo shoot on location. I was thinking of somewhere with a nice backdrop such as inside Haigh Hall or other such site, where the use of natural light would enable group photography and would show beginners how great images can be achieved with simple natural light.

An outdoor venue would also be great but reliant on the weather.

Does any member live in a place like Haigh Hall that we could use?
HarryG
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by HarryG »

John,
John,
I was speaking to a novice club member on Thursday and when I asked if they had entered any prints in the monthly competition was told, “My prints are not good enough, when compared to the competition entries, mine are drab”. When I explained that most of the entries had no doubt started with a drab beginning and had been given some enhancement in Photoshop, I was looked on with some sceptism.
Perhaps in the summer, a few novice members who fit into the above category could submit a couple of images to the more experienced club members and then an evening arranged to view the treatments given to the various images.
H.
jane-f

Post by jane-f »

HarryG wrote:John,
John,
I was speaking to a novice club member on Thursday and when I asked if they had entered any prints in the monthly competition was told, “My prints are not good enough, when compared to the competition entries, mine are drab”. When I explained that most of the entries had no doubt started with a drab beginning and had been given some enhancement in Photoshop, I was looked on with some sceptism.
Perhaps in the summer, a few novice members who fit into the above category could submit a couple of images to the more experienced club members and then an evening arranged to view the treatments given to the various images.
H.
Hi sorry to butt in (hope you don't mind)
but further to this post - would it not be helpful to have a critics night,
where novice photographers submit pictures (if they want )along with the settings they used,
and the more experanced let them know if they could have done it any different,
and which settings might have been better (etc) to get a better picture or get a different slant on the picture.

although very very novice, i like people looking and commenting on the pictures i take,
any critisisam i find helps me, and i look at ways i can try and change.
HarryG
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by HarryG »

Hi Jane,
A good Idea, and one that I would go along with. I’m sure the comments would be positive but be prepared for the odd one, although you could always use someone else’s name on your picture.
Mike
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by Mike »

Why don't you have someone look into the one of the 'great' photographers and giving a talk about the theory and technique behind their work. PS Please do not see this as a volenteering post. . . . !
--------------------------
http://www.rileyuk.co.uk
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

A few years ago Myra demonstrated how to bake scones. I think she should do that again.

Lots and lots of scones. With 73 members that should be around 146 scones....

Seriously, I shall probably put a night in for members to have their own 10 minute slots to do whatever they wish with. It's an opportunity to show images, collections, read poetry, whatever you like. Even bake scones. Please.
Best regards

John
Myra
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Myra »

I,m in the kitchen now, i have started the scones. :lol: :lol:
Myra
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer