Lens choice

All things relating to Digital Photography
stevew
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: No

Lens choice

Post by stevew »

Having recently taken up photography I'm contemplating purchasing either a Sigma 120-400 or 150-500mm zoom. Does anyone have any experience of either of those lenses. I'm looking for a lens for shooting both motor racing and wild life. I'm concerned that although both lenses are alleged to produce excellent wild life images for their respective prices, they would be fast enough for motor sport.

Stevew
KEASLA
Photographer
Photographer

Re: Lens choice

Post by KEASLA »

i have the 150-500 and i love it these are some photos i have taken with it

Jessica Fairclough 4 Background by KEASLA, on Flickr

Scruffy Robin by KEASLA, on Flickr

Turkey Vulture by KEASLA, on Flickr

Baby Cheetah by KEASLA, on Flickr

Meerkat by KEASLA, on Flickr
My Flickr My Twitter

As always, stern, stern but fair
bert haddock
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by bert haddock »

Hi Stevew,
Both of these are excellent lenses, I have a friend in the USA who is a Sigma dealer and I have tried all the Sigma lenses, my main interest in photography is sport and wildlife, my main lens is the Sigma 50-500 I have had this lens for 10 years and still use it most of the time, my main reason for choosing this lens is I travel to lots of places where dust can be a problem, Africa .India etc and it has a good range of focal lengths and you don't have to keep changing lenses risking the chance of dust on the sensor, I also shoot a lot of motor sport mainly motorcycles, ok they aren't the fastest lenses on the market but when you look at the prices of f2-8 or f4 they are a good buy.
If you click on to LINKS on the main website and click onto my name you will see a selection of my images of wildlife and motorsport most of them taken with the 50-500 Sigma, you can also have a chat with me at ADAPS about any of the above,

Regards,
Bert.
bert haddock
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by bert haddock »

Stevew,
Had trouble attaching images to above, but these where both taken with my 50-500 Sigma.
Bert,
Jorge Lorenzo.JPG
Jorge Lorenzo.JPG (102.74 KiB) Viewed 5375 times
Attachments
Grizzly with salmon.JPG
Grizzly with salmon.JPG (124.5 KiB) Viewed 5375 times
stevew
Initiate
Initiate

Post by stevew »

Hi Guys.
Excellent images! I think you have managed to dispel any misgivings I had about these lenses.
Stevew
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Another lens you might consider is the Tokina 80-400mm. This is heavy, sturdy and performs very well. It's currently available in Canon and Nikon mounts and can be sometimes found in Pentax mount.
Best regards

John