Forum Competition #114 - Festivals

Enter our forum competitions here
Phil Jones
Spam Protection: No

Forum Competition #114 - Festivals

Post by Phil Jones »

Hi All.
Now that autumn appears to be with us, it might be easy to forget what a good summer we had for once.
Now one of the best things about summer is the sheer size, scale & variety of festivals. It needn't be related to music; a summer fair, village fete, garden party, car show, anything that could be defined as a festival
Competition closes two weeks tonight at midnight on Wednesday 2nd October.
Hopefully you've all been taking lots of photos throughout the summer & I look forward to judging your entries.

Regards,

Phil.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Forum Competition #114 - Festivals

Post by John »

Leigh Parish Church Flower Festival:
069 Flower Festival.jpg
069 Flower Festival.jpg (244.63 KiB) Viewed 10105 times
Best regards

John
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by yachtsman1 »

One of the best days out at a fair was at Hunton Steam Fair, where we took 100's of pictures, which one to choose, I think this one is favourite.
Eric
_MG_0755 by E & MS, on Flickr
Stbourne
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Stbourne »

Here's the brass band from the Armed Forces Parade at Hindley Leyland Park earlier this year.
Attachments
Hindley Forces Parade.jpg
Hindley Forces Parade.jpg (220.82 KiB) Viewed 10066 times
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

Saturday 21 September was the Saltaire Festival - a real treat for photographers, and this Flea Circus created lots of interest, and was a sell-out for each performance.
Attachments
Saltaire Festival - Flea Circus.JPG
Saltaire Festival - Flea Circus.JPG (251.69 KiB) Viewed 10041 times
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
gwenbarnes
Initiate
Initiate

Post by gwenbarnes »

I took this shot whilst on holiday in Alhama de Granada, Andalucia in May; it is an annual festival where the streets are strewn with greenery and about 30 men bear the consecrated host through the town, followed by a solemn procession supported by a band. This is a deeply religious festival and entire families assemble around the procession, chanting their prayers.
Attachments
Corpus Christi Festival Andalucia.JPG
Corpus Christi Festival Andalucia.JPG (250.58 KiB) Viewed 10039 times
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

STOBART Fest 2013

Post by Paul Jones »

This shot of Ashley Maddocks was taken at the annual Stobart Fest, held at Carlisle Airport two weeks ago.

Ashley is an Eddie Stobart driver and one of the stars of Channel 5 TV programme 'Eddie Stobart: Trucks and Trailers'. He was being beseiged by hundreds of fans wanting autographs but I managed to get a shot. I now know what it must be like being part of the Paparazzi... 8)

Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
AndyB
Initiate
Initiate

Post by AndyB »

Hi,
This is a shot taken at the Golowan Festival in Penzance last June.
Attachments
Golowan festival Penzance 1.jpg
Golowan festival Penzance 1.jpg (254.11 KiB) Viewed 9977 times
Mrs Sales

Post by Mrs Sales »

Well Dressing & Blessing at Chesterfield this year - supposedly started the tradition after the well ran dry one year
Attachments
DSC_0683.jpg
DSC_0683.jpg (243.69 KiB) Viewed 9949 times
... //(*_*)\\ ++++++ //(*_*)\\ ... Image
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Taken at the Salford Music Festival this weekend, the band is called "Dirty Money No 5"
IMG_0853-v2-web.jpg
IMG_0853-v2-web.jpg (162.61 KiB) Viewed 9920 times
Tracey
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by PhilipHowe »

IMG_6722.jpg
IMG_6722.jpg (208.68 KiB) Viewed 9911 times
TAken at "Transmission 005" at Jodrell Bank. The big round thing on the left is the Lovell Telescope, which had projections onto it.
Hand held, no flash.
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
bazzasmeg
Photographer
Photographer

Post by bazzasmeg »

The warriers return. Harewood Medievil Festival 2012
Attachments
The-warriers-return.jpg
The-warriers-return.jpg (84.39 KiB) Viewed 9861 times
Phil Jones

Post by Phil Jones »

Competition now closed. Now for the hard part!

Phil.
Phil Jones

Post by Phil Jones »

Hi All.
First of all, let me say as a newbie, I don't know enough yet about exposure, burn out or any other technical aspects. My view is purely aesthetic. It seems to me one of the great things about photography is that even viewing the work of others can bring back happy memories in one's own mind; places you've visited etc. Almost all of the entries this month have done that for me.
John: Lovely clear close up. Something that I'm slowly conquering my fear of. It's not rude to go in close on inanimate objects, they really don't mind me invading their space! Nice angle to capture the cross exactly dividing the figures on the wall behind.
Eric: Clear all down the line of steam engines & I'm glad that they were fired up when you took it.
Shaun: I loved the b/w treatment of this. It made me think of walking days when we were kids. Pretty much everything was b/w then. I've photographed marching bands myself & I found they benefitted from being taken at an angle then the sheet music doesn't block the musicians' faces.
Mel: Nice colourful image but I can't help noticing that the bunting is wrapped around the circus man's hand which is a shame.
Gwen: Brilliant colours, lovely frozen movement & a good elevated position above the crowd. The Spanish really do religious festivals. It reminds me of my summer holiday this year when I finally got the chance to become Ernest Hemingway & run with the bulls in Pamplona at the San Fermin Festival.
Paul: I live in hope that one day I can take a portrait shot half as good as this. There's nothing more to add about the photo but for me it doesn't define " Festival. " Maybe if " Men At Work " were ever a subject... ( I guess that's me off the Christmas card list! )
Andy B: Nice colourful image. Good to see the drummers' hands clear.
AJS: As before, good clear image with nice colours but I would have loved to see some human involvement there.
Tracey: A band like this has to be shot in b/w, so you've absolutely done the right thing. I don't know how you manage to freeze strong movement so well. I remember your photo of Paul Stanley on the forum & being so impressed. I'm always trying & usually failing to capture stage acts!
Philip: Fantastic image. You've really held the stage lights & crowd movement well. My gig photography usually turns out blurred ( see above comment. )
Bazzasmeg: I do like the essence of this event on clearly a warm summer's day. Nice reflection on the armour & shine on the soldier's forehead from his exertions.
So on to the judging.
3rd: Philip Howe for showing me what open air concert photography should be like.
2nd: John Riley for showing me what close up photography should be like.
1st: Gwen Barnes for bringing back memories of one of the best, daftest, most surreal, colourful experiences of my life! Congratulations!
A heartfelt thanks & well done to all the entries this time.
Now we await Gwen's subject.

Regards,

Phil.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

You've done well there Phil with your assessment! And Gwen, our winner, has the podium!

Over to you Gwen, please set up a new competition thread with your chosen subject of............. :)
Best regards

John