Thursday 14th November 2013

A place for Syllabus Updates and Comments
GERRYG
Elite Member
Elite Member
Spam Protection: Maybe

Re: Thursday 14th November 2013

Post by GERRYG »

I have a problem that I wish we could sort out. The 2 people who have complained about the Judge DON'T use their own names when posting. I also wondered why it would make a difference if the judge had been a woman.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

It can be helpful if people use their real names and we encourage that, but in the end we can call ourselves whatever we want on the internet, for whatever reason.

As for judging, I don't think male or female makes any difference, every judge is a person and they often get it right and sometimes get it wrong.
Best regards

John
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by Paul Jones »

canonsnap wrote: he (the judge) hadn't even looked at them before the competition night.
That's not a bad thing, is it? Do you really need a week to decide if a shot is a winner or not? I'd say most people do it in two or three seconds.

I've just looked through all the competition images posted in the Gallery and chose my winner instantly. Sorry, but it wasn't taken by either Gerry or Tracey.
GERRYG wrote: The 2 people who have complained about the Judge DON'T use their own names when posting.
Personally, I would prefer people to use their names. It took me a while to figure out who BydoR9 and Keasla are. I haven't got a clue who Canonsnap is.
BydoR9 wrote: Tracey's shot ... should have won!
In your opinion. It is without question a lovely image. No disrespect to Tracey, but everyone looks at images differently.
Tracey McGovern wrote: ... at the end of the day, we ask these judges to come along and judge, so we have to accept what they choose as the winning image, most of the people in the room will never agree with his/her decision.
Is the right answer... If you're going to enter competitions you have to accept that some you win and some you lose. One judge might love your shot and give it 20, whilst another judge might not care for it and give it a 7. You can't be too serious about it or it will drive you mad. ;-]

Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by PhilipHowe »

If you think judges are bad, try showing my Mrs a photo, that's real critique, you know what your score out of 20 is just by the initial facial expression.

Don't anyone get uppity about judges, and I have felt hard done by myself more than once, but I haven't seen a single photo in my life that there isn't a tiny point of that I haven't thought what is that, or, that spots a bit dark, bit light etc, even my own.

The thing is, you are feeding lions by putting your photos up, but it's great to see what anyone thinks of your photos and most of the criticism isnt, it's critique.

On ephotozine I had a photo that got a Highly commended award (mightily pleased with that) that I think scraped a 16/17 on a club night.

I've had another studio photo of two people that got a 20 in the club, and was beaten by a fine art flower to winner, but has simply been rejected by anything else I've ever entered it in.

Gerry, I haven't seen the photo that's I feel has caused this thread. The judge was obviously tactless and anyone posting here didn't realise that the word would get round. That said, the judge knows that someone in the room took the photo, so most likely knows the people in the photos.

No need to tread on eggshells from anyone, but I don't feel there is need to think noone cares either. It's one persons opinion and that person, along with the opinion shown, changes every time a competition comes around.
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68