Extreme Photo Trips

A place for discussions not specifically catered for elsewhere
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Extreme Photo Trips

Post by John »

Just a thought for a discussion. You are going on an arduous six month trip, well away from civilisation much of the time. There will be no chance for buying batteries or other accessories that we might take for granted. It will be cold in the extreme at the start of this trip and hot and humid towards the end, so all forms of extreme conditions. Electricity for charging may well be limited to car chargers, but possible.

Now you have to buy a camera that will see you through this. What will you buy that you will be confident in?
Best regards

John
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Extreme Photo Trips

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Blimey, that's hard. I think I would play it completely safe and use disposable cameras, I've just found some Kodak ones on Amazon with 100 exposures for £89.99. I'd probably buy 3 and work hard to get my settings right before pressing the shutter - infact, do they even have settings....???? :shock:

Tracey
DaveSouthern
Elite Member
Elite Member
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by DaveSouthern »

Not 100% sure but for those who have used film camera`s there are some out there that don`t rely on batteries even for metering and that are all mechanical, possibly some TLR`s.
I would possibly buy a Yashica TLR as I used to use a Yashica 124G and a Yashica 635 (which utilises 120mm and 35mm film formats), but there are other Yashica models you can still get, some rare, some in very good condition.
You can still get 120 film,12 exposure and 24 exposure, colour negative, black and white and even slide.
You will also need an exposure meter as well which may take small batteries.
The only drawbacks are that if you shoot flash you will need batteries and of course the weight factor comes in.

Correct me if I am wrong please,anyone.

Dave
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by Paul Jones »

John wrote: There will be no chance for buying batteries or other accessories
Electricity for charging may well be limited to car chargers, but possible.
I'd take all the photos on my phone.
Take a couple of extra memory cards.
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
mikeaspinall
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by mikeaspinall »

This is quite amusing.
Given that it would be a 6 months long trip away from civilisation I'm wondering where we would get the petrol to power our vehicle from because
if we are supposed to charge our phone/camera from a car charger we are going to need fuel unless of course we can walk back to the car when we need
to do the charging. If there are petrol stations then they just might have batteries so we should get a camera with AA batteries.
However, if we are going by 'Shank's Pony' then I would go along with Dave and go back to film cameras. My choice would be a Nikon F with a
35mm F2.8 lens as standard (can always crop the image later) and a Weston V light meter plus as much film as I could carry in a 'coolbag'. Could always
use the camera to knock in tent pegs.
Actually, the better bet would be the Nikon F2 Photomic as the batteries were only used when using the lightmeter so should last at least 12 moths plus
a spare set wouldn't take up any space.

LONG LIVE FILM

Michael
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

I asked because I wondered how much confidence we might have in our digital SLRs, and it seems not much! Yes, I'd envisaged remote shacks with petrol supplied in cans, but not pumps as such. AA batteries? Not sure I'd rely on them being reliable, so just maybe film would be the way to go.

It's tempting to think of the waterproof/shockproof compacts, but we need to be sure we can recharge those Lithium batteries.

I think this is one ADAPS trip that we won't be pursuing.....
Best regards

John
mikeaspinall
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by mikeaspinall »

Cheers John

If you do go on a trip like this one please send me a postcard if you can find somewhere to post it LOL.
joking apart I still think that the Nikon F2A was the best camera I ever owned with that lovely shutter sound but the most attractive
would have been a Leica M2/3/4 which were just gorgeous but outlandishly expensive.

Michael
Alan Duckworth
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Alan Duckworth »

I had my Bronica ETRS for about 15 years or so. I never changed the battery, (it worked the shutter) and it still worked when I sold it. It did not have a built in meter so I always used a weston meter. (no battery involved). I had multiple backs viz 120 & 35mm so something of this order may be worth a look. The only drawback was that it was heavy. If you started with a new battery at the start of the trip, it should last, going off my experiences.
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair
Spam Protection: No

Post by melbarnes »

I'd take my Canon 6D, a dozen 32Gb memory cards, and a solar panel charger (assuming you are not going to one of the Poles during the 24 hour darkness months).
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by PhilipHowe »

Canon 5D with my 50mm f1.4, I have 12 batteries, could get a grip so that it'll take AA batteries as well, as backup.
I've got a car charger for the batteries.
I've got 8 good memory cards, so about 48Gb, should be enough, shooting RAW and removing the bad ones.

I have a ski and surf camera, but, as you've said, you'd need loads of batteries for one of them.
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

I've had a thought about this myself. There's a video somewhere on YouTube showing a Pentax K-5 in a freezer, the temperature being slowly reduced. It's supposed to be OK to -10C, but it actually keeps firing (it's on interval timer for this purpose) till beyond -30C. So the camera body should be OK. As for lenses, I'll take a weather resistant AF lens, but also a couple of manual focus lenses, just in case the cold makes the motors seize up. Belt and braces always.

Batteries will be the bugbear as they don't like cold, but kept in an inside pocket and changed as required. In the heat there won't be a problem. I've used SLRs at the Aswan Dam at 50C so I can't stand hotter than that, never mind the camera....

Plus a backup waterproof/shockproof compact I think, and lots and lots of batteries......
Best regards

John