THE INCONSISTENCY OF JUDGE

A place for discussions not specifically catered for elsewhere
GERRYG
Elite Member
Elite Member
Spam Protection: Maybe

THE INCONSISTENCY OF JUDGE

Post by GERRYG »

After the last two judges, it is no wonder people are confused about how to present their pictures. Last month the judge made comment about negative space in a picture, "why is that space there with nothing in it, it should have a tighter crop". This month the Judge seemed to like the opposite, blown out pictures with big negative space. Although it does not concern me which is right or wrong, I think it makes it very difficult when you are trying to teach new photographers the best way to show your pictures in a competition. There seems to be no consistency in the Judge's, and a lot of their comments are their own personal bias, and not based on good photographic practice. I also feel there are too many portraits in an open competition. If you have a cup for portrait photography there should be a competition just for portraits, thus allowing other genre a chance. I have noticed that this year more and more people making the choice to put portrait pictures into the competitions to give themselves a chance at two cups with one picture. I would like to propose the idea of 4 more trophies in the following categories - Creative, Nature, Mono and Record, this would allow other types of photography to compete for a cup. I would be happy to donate these trophies if approved. This would, hopefully, encourage people to put other types of pictures into the competitions.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: THE INCONSISTENCY OF JUDGE

Post by John »

At the beginning of April a list will go up on the clubroom walls giving the agenda for the 2014 AGM. There will be a space for any member to put down anything they particularly want to discuss at the AGM, although each one will have a limited time for discussion to prevent the meeting getting too bogged down. There will be plenty of time for good discussion though. Don't put lots of detail on the list, just the headline so to speak.

In any event, do please put your ideas to the Competition secretary who will take it forwards to a committee meeting in the meantime.

As regards judging, it's a matter of balance and "correcting" something for one style can easily upset somebody else for another, so we proceed with changes with caution. :)
Best regards

John
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by PhilipHowe »

Gerry - Inconsistency of a Judge - This hasn't just happened over the last two comps (which I haven't been to by the way), it's always been there.
I once had a portrait up against a flower in a vase for winner. I didn't win, but the point is how do you judge one against the other (for reference, I don't like pictures of flowers, so mine should have walked it, ok, only joking).

Judges, in my opinion, (sound like a judge) tend to favour what they do, then favour something that they are now into, ie a new fad. If you are only in the club to enter comps, then, as you say, there is no consistency, but you can see this in inter clubs where a photo should get a consistent score, regardless of judge, maybe only one point each side at most, not a 19 in one and a 15 in the next. In comps I've had a couple of 20s, a couple of 17s and at least two 14s, been published in a few magazines, but there is only one photo I've ever printed out and put up on my kitchen on the wall. I don't understand it and it used to be a frustration, but now I don't enter, as I agree with you.

I agree about other comps, but, if you enter a portrait, it's easy to say that's got a person in it, it's a portrait, but where you go with a record shot etc etc. As I remember, it's not a portrait competition as such, just that Les Law was a portrait photographer.

Anyway, my point is, I agree with you, so if it's added to the list, I'll second your proposal at the AGM, the only caveat is that the comp secretary has to administrate it.
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by BydoR9 »

My main personal gripe with judges of late is that they look at a shot, say they like it, like the composition, viewpoint, general presentation etc... and basically say nothing negative about it whatsoever, then give it a 14!?!

Some better judges say upfront that they have a base mark of general photographic competency of say 15. So surely an image a judge says that they like does not deserve to receive a 13, 14 or even a 15, compared to an image which has been criticised and considered to 'not work' asthetically or to have significant technical issues which usually score that low. I've had at least half a dozen instances of this happening to my work over the last 3 competitions (including the month when I was joint winner).

Andy.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Like all things, judging is not as easy as it sometimes looks, and we need to realise that judges are human and not machines. What they do they do freely, asking only nominal expenses for their time and trouble.

Yes, there are inconsistencies, there are bound to be, but we need judges otherwise there wouldn't be any competitions. Like it or not, they will judge and give their opinions. So, whatever else may be true, at the end of the day the judge's decision is final.

Personally, I just enter whatever takes my fancy because I like it, and if I get a good response that's great, and if I don't then that's just the way it is. :)
Best regards

John
Gill Blower
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Gill Blower »

I don't think people enter portraits just so they can win two cups. We have always had a good number of members who are interested in portrait/studio work. These numbers have steadily increased possibly due to the portrait sessions making members more confident about their work.

All judges have their favourite genres and may judge comps accordingly. Some judges see the entries prior to the comp and I think this can lead to better scoring/feedback. Those who judge on the night are less consistent and seem to lose track sometimes of what marks they have given. However, it is up to the judge which way he scores them....we won't always agree!

As John said this can be raised at the AGM to be debated...just put it on the list! :-O

Gill
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair
Spam Protection: No

Post by melbarnes »

The type of judging that amazes me is when a judge praises photograph A, giving all its plus points, after which he/she criticises photograph B, giving all its negative points, then gives photograph B more points than photograph A. Where's the logic in that? And it's happened more than once in the last competition year at ADAPS. That's inconsistency for you!
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."