All things relating to Digital Photography
Darren
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: No

ND1000 Help

Post by Darren »

Hi All,

I've recently been shooting landscape using a ND1000 filter. One area I'm trying to accurately measure is balancing the exposure with the ND1000 filter.
I'm aware that my Hoya ND1000 is reducing light by 10 stop, so to obtain the correct exposure you must multiply your shutter speed by 1000.
example.
If given the correct exposure without a filter at 1/125 the resulting exposure time would be 8secs with a Hoya ND1000 filter. 1000/125=8

I read this recently for those shooting with an ND1000 filter.

http://www.naturephotomagazine.com/inde ... cks&id=406

Is this bit of info correct? Can anyone shed some light on this?

"Shoot in aperture (A or Av) preselection mode, do not use the manual mode (M) as in that case the camera will measure the light to the preset aperture even when the filter is on, so you will get slower shutter speed at the same aperture. ..."

I assumed all HDR and long exposures were best shot in manual so nothing can move during exposure time. The above statement does not really make a lot of sense to me!

thanks for your help.
Darren
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: ND1000 Help

Post by John »

If you had a 10 stop filter on and the exposure without the filter was 1/125s then you are correct that the new exposure would be 8 seconds. This would not be true on film, but it would on digital. (Film suffers from reciprocity failure and for long exposures more exposure than indicated by a meter is required.)

The purpose of the 10 stop filter is to enable a long shutter speed so that, for example, water can be blurred. Or some other movement recorded. You can achieve this using any program you like, and there's no reason why manual exposure could not be used, provided you can select a long enough shutter speed. If you can't, the generally Av will enable an extended range of long shutter speeds, maybe up to 30 seconds or so.

Of course, in the end just try it out and see what happens and see if you get the result you are hoping for.

Hope that helps!
Best regards

John