Backgrounds

A place for discussions not specifically catered for elsewhere
Andy C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Backgrounds

Post by Andy C »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance for purchasing background equipment for portrait type photos.
I want to take photographs of my children and would like them to look a little more professional without all the background clutter from the living/dinning room etc.
Eventually, I would like to build up my equipment to include lights, but for the time being I would be more than happy with a nice background setup.
Any advice/information will be gratefully appreciated, Andy
Walter Brooks
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Re: Backgrounds

Post by Walter Brooks »

Several choices are open to you - plain paper backgrounds, half width rolls are more manageable in the domestic situation ; cloth backgounds either plain (which can be further coloured with a background light) or clouded (personally would choose a neutral/ natural colour) you may find http://www.colourscape.co.uk helpful; or Lastolite type backgrounds which 'pop out' and can then be folded (with a bit of practice) back into their cases - the cloth options are probably the most practical, hope this is helpful?
“The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.”
― Dorothea Lange
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by Paul Jones »

Andy C wrote: I want to take photographs of my children
Eventually, I would like to build up my equipment to include lights
In the absence of studio lighting, why not take them outside and practice natural light outdoor portraits? Maybe using a touch of fill-in flash if you have a flashgun (speedlight). You can use large apertures to throw the background out of focus if need be.

You might find the DPR Lighting Techniques Forum useful:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1025
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Ian Austen
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Ian Austen »

I'd tend to agree with Paul that you'll probably get better pictures outdoors without lights. It may be worth buying a simple reflector to add some fill light - this could also be used indoors as well to add fill to natural light from a window for example.

I use a black lastolite background which is made from a felt like material - an example below of a pic taken of my kids a couple of weeks ago with two lights:

If you decide to go for some lights in the future the Elinchrom DLite kits are very popular. Bowens also do a "studio in a box" kit which also has everything you would need.

Ian
bert haddock
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by bert haddock »

Re backgrounds,
Colourscape make a good selection of backgrounds www.colourscape.co.uk I have four differant colours purchased from them,
they are inexpensive compared to many other companies, you can also buy background supports from FOTOSENSE Bolton.

Bert.
Andy C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Andy C »

Thanks for all the infromation so far. Colorscape does seem to be fairly reasonably priced and I had not heard of Fotosense (gives me another shop to browse around :-d )
The more I look into backgrounds and lighting the more I fancy a "full kit". There seems to be a lot of lights on the market, is there any particular makes to avoid. I have come across kits on ebay which have 'Procameras Fotolights' These seem to be good value, but is this a case of buy cheap, buy twice?
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Andy C wrote: I have come across kits on ebay which have 'Procameras Fotolights' These seem to be good value, but is this a case of buy cheap, buy twice?
Possibly. If I was buying new lights for myself I'd personally go for Bowens or Elinchrom.

Read through the Lighting Techniques Forum (see my link above) and there's always discussions on various lighting kits.
Paul
================

Andy C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Andy C »

Paul Jones wrote:why not take them outside and practice natural light outdoor portraits?
I did just that and here is one of the pictures.

As usual! my 2 werent so keen to be in front of the camera, So luckily the neighbours children were more than happy to show off in front of the camera.

Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Andy C wrote: I did just that and here is one of the pictures.
You've captured their personality well. The diffused background helps.

One thing you might want to try though is adding a touch more contrast to give it more punch. I just tried it and it made a big difference.

Well done.
Paul
================

Andy C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Andy C »

Thanks for the tip Paul. As i'm still at the start of my learning curve for photography and especially photoshop all tips are very welcome.

I find using the photoshop tutorials you get with magazines fairly straight forward especially using there images and guidance. However when it comes to my pictures I never have a clue on how to touch them up or how best to improve them.
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Andy C wrote: .... when it comes to my pictures I never have a clue on how to touch them up or how best to improve them.
It's a matter of experimenting with different things. We've all been there. I'm currently in the process of going through all my raw images and reworking many of them as I work on revamping my website.

Simple adjustments like using LEVELS, CURVES or BRIGHTNESS/CONTRAST can have a big impact on the image.

Now you're in ADAPS ask for as much help as you need.
Paul
================

John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

This coming Thursday will be an ideal opportunity to ask questions about Photoshop techniques, or indeed anything else that you wish to raise.
Best regards

John