194 Communication

Enter our forum competitions here
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

194 Communication

Post by Janice Freeman »

It struck me in the street photography subject that in one or two of the images, communication was by way of mobile phones! These days, as you walk down any street, in a shop, café, groups etc., at least one person is glued to a mobile phone. Therefore I have chosen communication as the subject matter and this can be anything connected with communication in ANY shape or form OTHER than a phone of any description. Looking forward to your interpretation of this. Closing date is Midnight 26th September. Have fun.
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
Stu B
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Re: 194 Communication

Post by Stu B »

I think you may have misjudged the closing date a little Janice...
Regards

Stuart....
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

Oooops thank you Stu, It should of course be 26th October :oops:
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by BydoR9 »

Not a good start for a communications competition, but we knew what you meant Janice :-d ;-]

Andy.
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

It’s an age thing. Lol
JOJO
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JOJO »

The Postman Always Rings Twice.jpg
The Postman Always Rings Twice.jpg (147.37 KiB) Viewed 12025 times
Joanne

"Anybody can be a great photographer if they zoom in enough on what they love." - David Bailey
johnjm
Initiate
Initiate

Post by johnjm »

"Ladies......"

Imagepeacock newquay by john merritt, on Flickr
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by BydoR9 »

Neighbours
Attachments
Neighbours.jpg
Neighbours.jpg (252.58 KiB) Viewed 11960 times
GRAHAM OTTY
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by GRAHAM OTTY »

Communication breakdown
Attachments
DSC_6147 (2).JPG
DSC_6147 (2).JPG (109.95 KiB) Viewed 11943 times
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

026 Telephone Box.jpg
026 Telephone Box.jpg (413.68 KiB) Viewed 11938 times
Use them or lose them! I would imagine that red telephone boxes were considered a scourge on the landscape when first introduced. Then they became an icon of Rural England. Now they are under threat as the mobile phone makes them largely redundant. They do look rather splendid when freshly painted!
Best regards

John
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Village Life

Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

So I said to this bloke........
2X3A1395.jpg
2X3A1395.jpg (186.27 KiB) Viewed 11837 times
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

Sorry for the delay in comments but it has been a busy few days- that and the fact that BT cannot keep my internet running after 17.00 ! Communication? No amount of phone calls emails online chat has resolved the issue.

JoJo. - The Postman Always Rings Twice. A good start. There is something about the old phonebox is there not? However, they contain that dreaded instrument (which we now nearly all carry in our pocket, handbag etc) which seems to be the 'go-to' for communication - BUT - I love the inclusion of the mailbox and as a method of communication, letters seem to be a bit of a dying art! It would have been great to see someone actually posting a letter. The image looks slightly overexposed towards the top right corner and hazy causing it to look a bit flat. Perhaps a bit of contrast needed? I like the colour popping which makes the objects stand out and the image is well balanced. Love the title.

John: "ladies.." A bit of out of the box thinking here John. A bold and proud display communication "look at me". (Are all males 'peacocks ;) ). Not sure about the tight crop but A good sharp image and the head and body of the bird are nicely defined against the colourful fan. He certainly gets his message across.

Andy - Neighbours A very relaxed scene and - as always - well composed. The colours are gentle and warm I like the position of the two ladies in the image. smiling and clearly enjoying good old fashioned conversation - face to face.

Graham - Communication Breakdown. Clearly! Perhaps this is why he is hiding in the shadow! Although we cannot see the cigarette. the position of his hands and posture communicate exactly what he is doing - the light falling in the right place, however I would like to see a little more detail in the shadow. Its a shame that it crosses so much of the face. A well spotted image.

John - Use them or lose them. A British icon! I would hate to see them disappear and the (few) modern ones are not as appealing. The bike wheel protruding on the right caught my eye, but a minor point. An empty street! Perhaps they are all at home tapping out on their mobiles! I like the angle that this has been taken at, not a flat face on shot.

Paul - Village Life. Nice coastal scene with the few houses and their essential method of communication - the red letter box - nicely positioned in the picture. It would have been great to see someone actually posting a letter but we cant have everything. Does anyone still write letters (other than to complain or pay bills?) A simple shot which speaks about village life.

Mel - So I said to the bloke.. The only thing worse than 2 women chatting is 2 men - they go on for ever! The tiny bit of plant creeping into the top of the picture is slightly distracting. I like the colours in the image. Nicely framed in the image and the look on their faces communicates quite an earnest or serious chat - but- the bottles - could it be the drink talking? For me, the bottles just add to the story.

3rd Gordon

2nd Andy

1st Mel - this image just gave me a bit more of a story than the others.

Over to you Mel for the next subject matter. My apologies for any spelling or communication errors :lol: .......
Gordon Armstrong
Chair
Chair

Post by Gordon Armstrong »

Thanks for the third place Janice, perhaps I might have got second if I had entered :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps I should go on holiday more often.....it obviously works for Mel :lol:

Gordon
"People say that nothing is impossible, but some times I can do nothing all day"

Gordon