printing neg full frame

All things relating to Film Photography
mark dyson
Photographer
Photographer

printing neg full frame

Post by mark dyson »

35mm neg is in the 3-2 ratio so is the only way to print full neg is to use paper and to cut this down to a 3-2 ratio. I compose in camera so would like to print full frame. Can anyone suggest a good enlarger lens as the
one i have is a bit cloudy. Just had my second go at printing black and white and i have had some nice prints but there is still a long way to go to get the prints i want. If anyone has any tricks and tips i would be very greatfull of any advice, but no advice on turning digital thanks.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: printing neg full frame

Post by John »

You're right that the paper sizes don't have the same shape as the negative, so as you say cutting down the paper is the only solution. Using one of the newer sizes such as 8 x 12 and 18 x 12 inches can help, but in terms of cost it might be out of proportion in a financial sense.

Inexpensive and good lenses would include the E-Rokkor 50mm f4.5 from Minolta and the Schneider Componar. Classy lenses would be the Durst Neonon, E-Nikkor and Schneider Componon-S. Personally I used the Nikkor 50mm f2.8 which is a superb lens. I suspect eBay will offer examples of these at reasonable prices.

We still have film users and darkroom printers in the club so I'm sure that myself, len Hudson or someone else will be happy to share tips.

If you think it would be helpful perhaps we could do a darkroom session at the club on the same Saturday morning as my next 2 hour Digital session.
Best regards

John
TerryMooney

Re: printing neg full frame

Post by TerryMooney »

Mark - I have a Schneider Componon-S enlarging lens sat in my darkroom doing nothing - the only snag is that the click stops don't work - you have to set the aperture by sight.
I'll bring it to the Club on Thursday.

Terry :]

P.S. On checking my darkroom also found an E.Rokkor f4.5 in pristine condition - I'll bring them both.