Competition #80 - Favourite Photo of 2011

Enter our forum competitions here
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Competition #80 - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Paul Jones »

As it's the last competition of the year I'm going to make it easy for everyone to enter by choosing an open theme.

I'd like to see one image from every member, it doesn't matter whether you're a beginner or expert - just have a go.

Have a look through all the photographs you've made over the last twelve months and please post your one favourite photograph of the year, along with a short reason why it's your favourite.

All images entered must have been taken since 1st January 2011 and can be on any theme.

The closing date for entries is midnight on Wednesday 4th January 2012.

Bom Natal ku boas entradas, pa ano entrano diritu
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Competition #80 - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Janice Freeman »

This is my favourite photo as it was the first one I took in 2011 with my new camera, resulting in my choosing to take up photography as a hobby for my retirement. It also reminds me of Gerry who has been lionhearted throughout his dreadful illness this year.
Attachments
Taken 14 1 2011
Taken 14 1 2011
20110113_31comp.jpg (196.7 KiB) Viewed 11136 times
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
Sentimental
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Sentimental »

This has been my favourite photgraph since the day I took it. It was the first time that I had planned what I intended to shoot, waited for darkness and then used the right settings to capture a view of the new bridge yet keeping the old bridge in the frame. I love the way the lights on the bridge are consistent across its span, reflecting in the water and not lost against the brightness of the street lights on the far shore which themselves light up the night sky.
Attachments
Forth Road Bridge, Scotland
Forth Road Bridge, Scotland
Forth Road Bridge.jpg (227.01 KiB) Viewed 11125 times
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

2011 is a year when I've been involved in a lot of different photography. I've reviewed lots of equipment, attended openings, and explored new areas. It's very hard to decide on a favourite photo out of so many - 365 new images for ePHOTOzine before we even start. Nature is a difficult subject and this shot is one of the first that shows more promise that progress is being made. Pentax K-5 with SMC Pentax-DA* 60-250mm lens.
Best regards

John
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by yachtsman1 »

Had to wait around for two hours to get this as the sun was setting. Taken with a Canon SX30 IS.
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg (72.99 KiB) Viewed 11094 times
danny
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by danny »

The only time i'v eaton an image. As well as looking good .It tasted good too. :lol:
Attachments
My-Daughter-Birthday-Cake.jpg
My-Daughter-Birthday-Cake.jpg (38.08 KiB) Viewed 11061 times
KEASLA
Photographer
Photographer

Post by KEASLA »

My Flickr My Twitter

As always, stern, stern but fair
bert haddock
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by bert haddock »

Just back off holiday, finding it hard to choose a favourite photo, been to lots of interesting places, Norway inside the Arctic Circle, Bears, Lynx, Arctic Foxes, Hares and Wolves, America photographing Eagles, Ospreys etc, plus lots of sporting events, found it very hard to choose my favourite so put 6 names in a hat and this is the one my Grandaughter picked out, SLEEPING BEES. this shot has done well in competitions and was a hard shot to take as the stem they where on was moving with the wind making it very difficult to get a sharp image,
Attachments
Sleeping bees  01.jpg
Sleeping bees 01.jpg (55.34 KiB) Viewed 11000 times
pammie
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by pammie »

Llandudno Pier, December 2011

Very cold, wet and rainy day, but obviously a special place for someone who has a bench with a remembrance plaque and lillies.
Attachments
bench 72 px.jpg
bench 72 px.jpg (120.26 KiB) Viewed 10961 times
Ianuk50
Elite Member
Elite Member
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by Ianuk50 »

Winter Ride - Rivington January 2011 - a very cold and frosty morning with the sunshine streaming through the trees; just had to wait for that bicycle rider to get into position and hey presto
Attachments
Winter Ride
Winter Ride
Winter ride.jpg (163.52 KiB) Viewed 10958 times
"I look up to Pammie....especially when I am grovelling to her to let me win!!"
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

This is one of my favourites pictures from this year. I had always wanted to go and see the mountain gorillas in Rwanda, never in a million years thought I would actually be able to go and see them in the flesh. But we wanted to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary by doing something really special so we decided to splash out on this fantastic trip - it was amazing and despite the hike up the mountain and the nausea I felt due to the thin air (honestly thought I wasn't going to make it, they wouldn't have let me proceed if I had been sick) it was all very much worth it, what an absolute privilege to be in the presence of these magnificent creatures in their own environment, it brought a lump to my throat and still does whenever I think about it - pass me the tissues someone :lol:

An amazing experience and one I will never forget.
Mountain-Gorilla-ADAPS-Dec.jpg
Mountain-Gorilla-ADAPS-Dec.jpg (111.23 KiB) Viewed 10919 times
angie.eldon
Initiate
Initiate

Post by angie.eldon »

This is my first year with ADAPs and have had lots of fun with my camera, entering competions to see how I am doing has bee a big part of my learning process. Too Heavy is my favourite image because not only do I enjoy looking at it even though it is not Technically perfect it is a restful image in my humble opinion. Also when KT Allen brought a copy of the print to hang in her lounge I felt a tremendous sense of pride, moreso when Janice asked if she could use the image for her charity, cancer research I was more than happy to oblige! :-d
Attachments
too heavy forum.jpg
too heavy forum.jpg (200.72 KiB) Viewed 10873 times
mike-e
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by mike-e »

I really love the expression on this little girl- very restful-
I would like to stylise more of my portraits on paul yaffe http://www.yaffefusionart.com/gallery.html.
Although in this portrait I decided on a modern version of the victoriana oval mount with a collection of adornments, its the colours I feel at ease with most with the juxtaposition of her skin tone, and the 3 dimensionality of the mount.

It may be considered too fussy although I think it adds a nice balance to the image.

It is the one image I have come back to time and time again and can find many things I can add to or take away from and still find a pleasing image.

I hope you all like it as much as I do
Attachments
modern victoriana.jpg
modern victoriana.jpg (219.52 KiB) Viewed 10863 times
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by PhilipHowe »

Paul, you've spoiled my Christmas with this one. Trying to decide on one and why has been giving me sleepless nights.

So, I've gone for this one. This was taken on a very busy night in Manchester, surrounded by drunks of all ages. We were getting heckled by every single person that walked past. I had one eye on my camera back which had all of my stuff in it, fend off the drunks and take photos while holding my flash in my hand on a wire. I'f I'd have had a drum, harmonica and a couple of cymbals, I'd probably have played them as well.

I asked the skateboarder to do a couple of tricks behind her and he was more than obliging. Ask and thou shall receive.

Sometimes you have got to get out of your comfort zone, get on with it and take some photos.
Amber-web-nowatermark-14-800px.jpg
Amber-web-nowatermark-14-800px.jpg (152.88 KiB) Viewed 10737 times
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Hi All

Thanks for taking part.

I asked you to post your favourite photo of 2011. The fact that you all chose the images that you did means that any judges comments on my part would really be redundant. It's obvious from your comments that these images have a special meaning for you.

"it was the first one I took in 2011 with my new camera, resulting in my choosing to take up photography as a hobby..."
"It was the first time that I had planned what I intended to shoot, waited for darkness and then used the right settings to capture a view..."
"Nature is a difficult subject and this shot is one of the first that shows more promise that progress is being made."
"Had to wait around for two hours to get this as the sun was setting."
"... was a hard shot to take as the stem they where on was moving with the wind making it very difficult to get a sharp image."
"had to wait for that bicycle rider to get into position and hey presto."
"despite the hike up the mountain and the nausea I felt due to the thin air, it was all very much worth it..."
"...when KT Allen brought a copy of the print to hang in her lounge I felt a tremendous sense of pride, moreso when Janice asked if she could use the image for her charity, cancer research."
"It is the one image I have come back to time and time again..."
"Sometimes you have got to get out of your comfort zone, get on with it and take some photos."

There's some great comments there. And they illustrate what is important about our hobby. It's not about trying to score 20/20 or impress a judge. It's about making images that make you proud and happy and that give you a sense of achievement or just great memories.

They are all worthy winners, but the nature of this competition means that I'm obliged to select a winner, so my top 3 favourites are:

3rd. Tracey McGovern
A lovely photo.
And an even lovelier story behind it.

2nd. Philip Howe
I know how hazardous location shoots can be.
Getting out of your comfort zone gave us something a little out of the ordinary.

1st. Mike Eldon
Who could resist this?
Any parent would love it.
It's no wonder you chose it.
Well done.

I now invite Mike E to choose a theme for our next forum competition with the usual two week deadline.

Thank-you.
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."