PROBLEM WITH NIKON 18-55 LENS

All things relating to Digital Photography
Gill Blower
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

PROBLEM WITH NIKON 18-55 LENS

Post by Gill Blower »

Hi

I have a friend who has a Nikon 18-55 lens which is not focusing. It has already been back to the manufacturers once, was fixed and worked again for six months, but it is now out of warranty.

Does anyone know where/who could fix it? Possible costs involved? :h!:

Thanks

Gill
mikeaspinall
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Re: PROBLEM WITH NIKON 18-55 LENS

Post by mikeaspinall »

Hi

Looking on Google a few suggestions are:- if your friend has any other lenses are they working? If so camera isn't suspect.
Try cleaning lens/body contacts in case they are dirty. Try switching A/M settings on lens a few times in case of dirt.
Hope this helps.

Michael
Gill Blower
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Gill Blower »

Hi

Thanks for that Mike. The camera is working fine and he has tried to clean it himself. It is definitely the lens.

Ta
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by Janice Freeman »

Hi Gill, I don't know much about lenses, however, if the lens has been faulty and repairedonce under the guarantee and has then failed again, you may be able to argue that it should not have failed and ask for a further repair under the guarantee (It depends when guarantee expired). Despite the fact that guarantees are given for a set period of time, the goods must stillbefit for purpose and should not be excpected to fail shortly after the guarantee expires.

'Under the Sale of Goods Act, goods have to be "reasonably durable",' says Woodroffe. 'The general view that retailers hold - that once their [own] one-year guarantee expires they are off the hook - is rubbish. If goods are faulty, consumers can potentially seek compensation for up to six years from the date they were purchased.'

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... 38311.html

Check out this link.

Hope this helps

Janice.
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

The basics for making sure a lens is OK include cleaning the contacts on lens mount and body mount with a soft, dry cloth. This will remove any residue that might prevent proper contact. Make sure the AF switch is clearly changed to AF and isn't at a half way position.

If all fails, then consider the cost of a new lens against the repair cost.
Best regards

John
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Hi Gill

You could try a guy called Alan Marlow based at Shepperton, that's where I sent my 400D last year to get fixed. I had the camera back within about 4 days, he hadn't even waited for my cheque to clear, it cost me £30 which I thought was fantastic. He repairs lenses too.

Here are his contact details:

Email: alan.marlow@talk21.com
Address: AM Technical Services, 12 Burbridge Road, Shepperton, Middlesex, TW17 0ED
Phone No: 01932 247127

Best Wishes

Tracey
Gill Blower
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Gill Blower »

thanks everyone, I will pass onto Barry.
Des

Post by Des »

Hi Gill,
If you need your lens repairing this guy is the man to see , not far away i took my injured lens to his front door.

A. J. and V. Dufton
photographic equipment repairs
1 Castlemere Drive,
Shaw
Oldham
OL2 8TQ

01706 673696

I am using the lens now as my standard every day peace of glass .

good luck
Des.
Gill Blower
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Gill Blower »

Thanks Des, I will pass the information on.
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by PhilipHowe »

Gill, was going to reply until I saw the response from Janice:
Hi Gill, I don't know much about lenses, however, if the lens has been faulty and repairedonce under the guarantee and has then failed again, you may be able to argue that it should not have failed and ask for a further repair under the guarantee (It depends when guarantee expired). Despite the fact that guarantees are given for a set period of time, the goods must stillbefit for purpose and should not be excpected to fail shortly after the guarantee expires.

'Under the Sale of Goods Act, goods have to be "reasonably durable"
She is absolutely correct, you are protected twice by the sale of goods act, firstly for the initial purchase and secondly, for the repair that was made. This repair admits that the lens has a fault. It should go back to these two for repair, nowhere else. If it goes somewhere else, then your mate is taking responsibility and will be out of pocket. No matter what the initial warranty period was, this is a faulty lens and the sale of goods acts protects for a time that is proportional and reasonable to the cost and purpose of whatever you purchase. Don't send it anywhere else until you have used up all avenues of the sale of goods act.
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
Gill Blower
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Gill Blower »

thanks Phil. This query is on behalf of a friend. I will pass it on.

Cheers