Forum Competition #93 - The Seven Deadly Sins

Enter our forum competitions here
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Forum Competition #93 - The Seven Deadly Sins

Post by John »

This one I'm giving you 3 weeks for, as I'm sure you'll want to savour the sins on offer...the competition ends on Midnight, Monday 3rd September 2012

I'm asking you to choose one of the Seven Deadly Sins and offer an image that portrays it.

The sins for this competition are as follows: Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy, Pride

You don't have to try them all, but one image please depicting one of those sins!
Best regards

John
yachtsman1
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Re: Forum Competition #93 - The Seven Deadly Sins

Post by yachtsman1 »

Looks like I'm first again. My picture represents "Gluttony", taken through a cake shop window in Ross on Wye last week. Very good they were!!!! :oops:
Eric
Attachments
P1000903.jpg
P1000903.jpg (148.38 KiB) Viewed 11033 times
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by BydoR9 »

Another for Gluttony, taken in the Cotswolds. :eat: :twisted:
Attachments
Sweet Shop
Sweet Shop
_DSC1725 lr2.jpg (202.96 KiB) Viewed 10995 times
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

All gone! (Greed)
Attachments
20120304_15 - Copy.JPG
20120304_15 - Copy.JPG (72.62 KiB) Viewed 10975 times
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
stelee
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by stelee »

Here is my interpretation of Sloth (Laziness).
Attachments
DSC_0112.jpg
DSC_0112.jpg (160.06 KiB) Viewed 10971 times
bazzasmeg
Photographer
Photographer

Post by bazzasmeg »

WARTH - Hell has no fury like a woman scorned!
Attachments
2012_06_30_00804 copy1.jpg
2012_06_30_00804 copy1.jpg (242.27 KiB) Viewed 10956 times
pammie
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by pammie »

Lust......
Attachments
adaps.jpg
adaps.jpg (160.38 KiB) Viewed 10936 times
Stu B
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Stu B »

Pride. (Proud to be Gay.) The Manchesrter Pride Parade.
Attachments
Dancing in the street Adaps.jpg
Dancing in the street Adaps.jpg (193.99 KiB) Viewed 10926 times
Regards

Stuart....
paulinefisher
Photographer
Photographer

Post by paulinefisher »

Wrath - one angry young lady!
Wrath.jpg
Wrath.jpg (247.56 KiB) Viewed 10895 times
Gill Blower
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Gill Blower »

sloth - sunbathing lemur
Attachments
001.jpg
001.jpg (97.89 KiB) Viewed 10884 times
KEASLA
Photographer
Photographer

Post by KEASLA »

Wrath and Envy as he was not to please to see the other tiger getting something to eat
Tiger by KEASLA, on Flickr
My Flickr My Twitter

As always, stern, stern but fair
keith richardson
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by keith richardson »

Pride ( Canute 0 : Tide 1 )
As I am sure everyone knows, King Canute claimed he could order the tide not to come in.
Unfortunately for him the tide had other ideas, and he subsequently went for a swim...
canute ongoing3.jpg
canute ongoing3.jpg (226.28 KiB) Viewed 10855 times
Keith.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

The competition is now closed. Many thanks to everyone who entered. I will be deciding a winner and posting some comments in the morning, in the cold light of day!
Best regards

John
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

I was getting a bit worried that nobody in ADAPS had any sins to express...but you've found a few good ones in the end. :)

My Brother-in-Law Mark has not entered a picture, which he tells me is his expression of sloth. Nice thought, but no points for it I'm afraid. Let's have a look at the images that did make it to the page:

Yachtsman 1 - Fair point and a good representaion technically. Gluttony yes, although I would have preferred perhaps going one step further and having a shot of someone chomping a great mouthful of that cake!

BydoR9 - Another case for gluttony, and a delightful shot in terms of its depth of field and overall technical quality.

Janice Freeman - Janice has diplayed some nice lateral thinking here, and gone for the fine line that differentiates gluttony and greed. Alas, by the time she took the shot greed had triumphed and the dessert was no more. Well done for a good idea.

stelee - An excellent demonstration of sloth and it makes me wonder who carried the chair out for him. An interesting shot full of activity and good placement of the main subject.

bazzasmeg - Another great idea, well presented. I would consider removing some of the characters on the right and concentrating our eyes more on the main grouping. You have two groups in this shot at the moment. My only doubt is she looks far too nice to be fierce or even filled with wrath, but I will concede that she just might take me by surprise.

pammie - A nice bit of lust from pammie, who has been brave enough to have a go at that. Paul has been on holiday so pammie has had to fill the slot. Technically excellent, nice angle and an attractive subject.

Stu B - I did wonder if anyone would take this option when I realised the Gay Pride event was on in Manchester. You've tackled it well, caught the moment, only leaving me to wish the shot was a bit sharper. Otherwise, a good competent bit of street photography.

Pauline Fisher - A good character study from Pauline and a lively, involved model. I'm not quite getting a feeling of wrath from this, perhaps because the expression is still a little benign. I would try again when she is really angry!

Gill Blower - Yes indeed, lemurs do demonstrate the very epitome of sloth. They have no shame either, but Gill has been discrete in her cropping. Technically, the grass behind is a little distracting as it is so brightly lit. It's a characteristic of digital sensors that over-exposed grass goes a very strange shade of green. Spot on idea though.

KEASLA - Threatening, powerful, dangerous, but because of instinct not necessarily because of wrath or envy. The beast does not seem angry to me, it is just what it is, a dangerous predator. Envy? I don't think it will pause for one milli-bleem to be envious, it will just attack and take. However, having said that, what a great shot as an image. Superb technique and superb quality.

Keith Richardson - Pride, yes, when we have the title and understand the story. You have presented us with a fantasy representation of a well known take, succinctly wrapped up in just the one shot. King canute, small and powerless against the fury of nature. His audience, both expectant and yet also trapping him into this monumental folly. He can't back out and the sky and sea look and feel overwhelming and they will sweep them all away. So what keeps canute there? He can't win, he can't lose face because of pride, but mixed in with a large dose of foolishness. He would not make a very good politician, allowing himslef to be manoevered into that position in the first place. Someone else might have been, to get him there....

With set subjects it's always a problem to match the best images with the best representation of the brief. Some great pictures, some great ideas, but do the two go together? Fortunately, I think they do here, so we have the following result.

3rd Place is Pammie with her image representing lust.
2nd Place is stelee with his reportage shot of sloth in action.
1st Place and THE WINNER is Keith Richardson for weaving his magic into a retelling of this fine example of pride.

Thank you all, and over to Keith for the next competiton!
Best regards

John
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

Congratulations Keith - super entry, and very well judged John with some useful and witty comments. Good to see a a few more entries this time.

Janice.
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty