ADAPS best images of the year book/portfolio

All your ideas for the website, the forums and the club
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: No

ADAPS best images of the year book/portfolio

Post by BydoR9 »

After beeing blown away by some of ADAPS's images lately, in particular, John's Time image and Tracey's Moroccan Princess - plus many of Gerry's, it got me wondering whether or not it would be a good idea to either have a portfolio of the clubs best images or If not, then maybe a Blurb book.

It would surely be worth while having them collated together for external club use and regularly updated.

Just a suggestion - any thoughts?

Andy. :[]
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: ADAPS best images of the year book/portfolio

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Hi Andy

Do you mean in addition to the ADAPS Year Book that John prepares?

If you only have a select few members contributing then I'm not sure that would work, it could come across as elitist which could have a negative effect on the other members, in addition to this, would anyone want to buy it?

What does everyone else think?

Tracey
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by BydoR9 »

Hi Tracey,

Yes, this would be in addition too the year book.

No way is my intention to establish some elitist faction of the club, it's just a suggestion to have, a). a selection of our best work as something for us all to aspire to, b) as something for guest speakers, judges and visiting clubs to look at and c). As a repository for us to go to for external competitions.

I was thinking about the comment Gerry made about trying to get us to compete with Wigan Ten - maybe that's too much to ask for a club of our size, but I respect his way of thinking. There's nothing wrong with aiming big - just as long as we don't alienate people.

I believe a collection of our very best work should be something for the club to be proud of. Just my take, don't want to tread on any toes here...

Andy.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

That's really what the Year Book is for - to showcase the best of what everyone does during the year. I wouldn't really want to split that effort, it would probably be confusing and we'd be competing with ourselves.

I had been musing about a quarterly magazine, but that has been tried and it hasn't worked very well for other clubs.
Best regards

John
Gill Blower
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Gill Blower »

Our best images from comps appear on the gallery page already. There are some club members who don't have access to the forum though - perhaps a topic for the next committee meeting?
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

I can understand why you have made this suggestion Andy, we have some fantastic photographers and astounding images. In principle it is a good idea and I don't think it would produce an elitist faction. However, at this moment in time, I think that the year book is sufficient and as john says includes everybody (who makes a submission). It would be nice to see members produce a small book of their own with their best photographs - perhaps a little soft back - which would be available for members to purchase and to peruse in the clubroom. And no, I don't think it would be 'showing off'. I love to see everyone's images and have learned such a lot from doing so. A quarterly magazine is a great idea. It may have been tried at other clubs and not been taken up, but has it been tried at ours? Although we have the website, due to my deafness, I miss such a lot of the chat in the clubroom and would welcome something like this to keep me more in touch. Would be great to have one online for everyone to access and also a printed copy in the clubroom.

Well that's my tuppenceworth :wink:

Janice.
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

BydoR9 wrote: After beeing blown away by some of ADAPS's images lately, in particular, John's Time image and Tracey's Moroccan Princess - plus many of Gerry's, it got me wondering whether or not it would be a good idea to either have a portfolio of the clubs best images...

it's just a suggestion to have a selection of our best work as something for us all to aspire to,
I'm not knocking the suggestion Andy, but the first question that came to mind is "Who is going to define which photographers are the best and worthy of going in the portfolio?"
BydoR9 wrote: I was thinking about the comment Gerry made about trying to get us to compete with Wigan Ten - maybe that's too much to ask for a club of our size, but I respect his way of thinking. There's nothing wrong with aiming big - just as long as we don't alienate people.
Comments have been made many times before, in club and in committee, about ADAPS competing with the likes of 'the prize-winning clubs'. Personally, I think much of the output from such clubs is derivative and cliché and not what I personally aspire to. But that might just be my opinion.

Aiming high, wanting to learn more and to improve ones photography should be encouraged, and is. And yes, the members who want to win competitions are to be encouraged in their endeavours also. One idea that was discussed a while ago was to have a sub-group of members who wanted to achieve distinctions, salons, PAGB, etc who could meet on a regular basis. Is that idea worth pursuing again?
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

A lot of things that get asked for we already do and others we could quite happily do if anyone wanted to. The basic function of the club brings people together and those with particular interests start to do things. That's where the Year Book started - I decided to do it and asked for contributions.

The magazine idea has to be catered for online really, via here and Facebook etc. The reason is there aren't enough of us to guarantee a good supply of material to put into it. I could write all day and night to fill it, but you'll find what I have to say here, Facebook and on my own website and EPZ blog. Why duplicate? Believe me, when others are asked for articles/images to contribute it's an uphill struggle! And are they quality articles when done? That depends who can be persuaded to contribute. It would soon fall by the wayside when there's so much competing and high quality stuff readily available..

I don't think anyone will pay to buy someone else's portfolio either.

These are all good ideas but the logistics is where they tend to unravel.
Best regards

John
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Janice Freeman wrote: A quarterly magazine is a great idea. It may have been tried at other clubs and not been taken up, but has it been tried at ours?
John wrote: The magazine idea has to be catered for online really, via here and Facebook etc. The reason is there aren't enough of us to guarantee a good supply of material to put into it. I could write all day and night to fill it, but you'll find what I have to say here, Facebook and on my own website and EPZ blog. Why duplicate? Believe me, when others are asked for articles/images to contribute it's an uphill struggle!
It will never happen. To put it in context, every week I ask for images for the ADAPS website 'Photo of the Week'. In a club with around 100 members I usually receive images from the same four or five people at the most. :roll:
Paul
================

Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Hi Paul

In response to what you said:
Paul Jones wrote: In a club with around 100 members I usually receive images from the same four or five people at the most
I'm guilty of not sending you any pictures :-[ , to be honest, it's just never at the forefront of my mind when there's a lot going on with life in general, I suspect this is the same for most people and it can be quite onerous to do it week after week, although, saying that, you manage to find the time to do it, which makes me feel even guiltier. Maybe we should go back to having a selection of images shown on a mini slide show like we used.

Tracey
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

We need to enthuse people to contribute. I've just send some images to Paul by e-mail and it took less than one minute to do it. I'm sure we can all find one minute of we want to!

This is the core reason why anything that's produced, be it a website or a year book, has to be because someone decides they want to do it. Even if it's an uphill struggle to get contributions, once achieved most people will be glad to see it.

So let's not be defeatist, let's just promote the need for more images. Come on Gang, you can do it! :-d
Best regards

John
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Tracey McGovern wrote: I suspect this is the same for most people and it can be quite onerous to do it week after week, although, saying that, you manage to find the time to do it, which makes me feel even guiltier.
Some members have emailed me 5 or 6 of their favourite images and I have stored these in a 'POTW' folder. I'm trying to be fair in giving everyone a shot but it may end up that we see the same names on the Home page as they are the ones who want to be there.
John wrote: I've just send some images to Paul by e-mail and it took less than one minute to do it. I'm sure we can all find one minute if we want to!
Exactly.
Paul
================