A place for discussions not specifically catered for elsewhere
Ian Yarwood
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: No

mount cutting

Post by Ian Yarwood »

I have bought a Raga 4590 cutter.
Tried to use it and the bevel edge is very poor and rough. Dont know if my set up is right or not.
What I am after is members comments on if/how they cut mounts and there own set up that works for them please.
Thanks in anticipation.
Stu B
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Re: mount cutting

Post by Stu B »

I have recently started to cut windows in mount boards. As I consider it to be a more professional finish, when complete. Though a little more expensive. I have no knowledge of the cutter you refer to. I googled it and no response there either. In my experience, and Im sure others will have differing opinions. Is that all you need is a good quality cutter and straight edge. I own a Logan 2000 bevel cutter and non slip straight edge. The 2000 clips on to the rail so you always get a straight cut. I have never had any problems other than stupidly cutting the bevel the wrong way round. (easily done.) If you want to spend a little more money you can go for the mount cutting jig 301-s available from frameco or ebay. Only advice I can offer is to keep the blade razor sharpe at all times. They soon go blunt...Don't set it to deep as it will snag on the material under the mount board.

http://www.clubframeco.com/video.html
Regards

Stuart....
Ian Yarwood
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: No

Re: mount cutting

Post by Ian Yarwood »

Thanks for that Stuart. The cutter is a Dafa 4590 cutter, don't know where Raga came from. How often would you change blades?