Thursday 14th November 2013

A place for Syllabus Updates and Comments
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Thursday 14th November 2013

Post by John »

Our second set subject competition of the year "Down on the Farm" judged by Paul Williamson.

There are over 50 entries, so plenty to see!
Best regards

John
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Re: Thursday 14th November 2013

Post by BydoR9 »

Don't know what that judge was smokin' when he gave the best shot an 18 (Tracey's)! :shock:

Still, enjoyed it tonight, think he was much better than our previous judge, entertaining, but went on a bit. :wink:
Janice Freeman
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Janice Freeman »

Yes, I enjoyed it. I find him to be quite a tough judge but his comments valid. The only bit that made me cringe was when he called the kid by the tractor 'gormless'. :oops: A wee touch tactless - that could have been somebodies little cherub. Hope mum or dad were not there! Quite relieved that I missed the deadline with mine - I would probably have gone home crying or started a fight LOL. Which was Tracey's image then? There were some great photos. Well done to Gerry for the winning image and to John and Sue - good job he gave them both the same points as that would have been REALLY tactless :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jan
"A good snapshot stops a moment from running away" Eudora Welty
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by BydoR9 »

Tracey's shot was the golden landscape with the farm house/hut and the spokey wheeled machine on the bottom right (it should have won!).

I thought his comments about the 'gormless' kid were spot-on! That rag he was holding was a bit on the stiff side too, like it had been left out in a bad frost! :lol:

The judge did have a tendency to contradict himself a lot though, he didn't like so called fake skies/he did like obviously fake skies (the winning shot), too much white on one tractor/not concerned about the white on the other tractor etc... I could go on. :[]
KEASLA
Photographer
Photographer

Post by KEASLA »

BydoR9 wrote:The judge did have a tendency to contradict himself a lot though, he didn't like so called fake skies/he did like obviously fake skies (the winning shot), too much white on one tractor/not concerned about the white on the other tractor etc... I could go on. :[]
Wrong
He was saying to add them in most of the photos so why would he not like them being added and I know the winning photo the sky was not added in
My Flickr My Twitter

As always, stern, stern but fair
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by BydoR9 »

I hear what you are saying, but whether or not Gerry's sky was added in or not is not the issue, he didn't like fake/overly worked whatever skies, he even thought the sea was part of the sky on one shot. My point is he gave Gerry's 20, but admitted he didn't like the sky, but didn't criticise Tracey's at all and only gave it 18! Seems strange to me.

Hell I'm not being precious - it aint my shot I'm defending, just pointing out sloppy judging, no one ever says anything apart from me about these matters and I'm NOT the sort of person who treads on egg shells!
GERRYG
Elite Member
Elite Member
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by GERRYG »

Hi BydoR9 ( Andy) Obviously in love with Tracey.

The "Gormless looking kid" in the picture is my nephew George. He posed for me as a favour. Last night he called me as soon as I got home to ask how his picture had got on and I told him at had done OK. This morning he went on ADAPS forum and read yours and Janice's comments. I don't think he will ever have his picture taken again. My sister is very upset with these comments and is going to complain to the L&CPU about them.

The Judge did not say he disliked false skies, it fact he said most of them would have been better with fake skies. The winning picture did NOT have a false sky, but had been lightened to show more texture.
My favour picture of the night was John's, but if we all liked the same thing it would be a boring world.

See you at the club next week Andy, I'll bring George with me.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

We will give George the judge's contact details, so he can go and sort him out! Honour will be satisfied. 8)

I'm putting my money on George, cool kid. 8) 8)
Best regards

John
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by BydoR9 »

Firstly, may I appologise to your nephew Gerry, was not my intention to upset him or anyone else for that matter (except the judge). I look forward to meeting him next week.

As lovely as Tracey maybe, I originally thought her shot was Keith's, so no love there!

I may have got the wrong impression from the judge about the 'sky' issues, so I'm willing to admit to that.

Hey, I'm on everyone at the clubs side, it just peeve's me sometimes with the crazy stuff that judges sometimes say. Maybe I'm just still bitter from my last experience. :cry:
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

BydoR9 wrote: Tracey's shot was the golden landscape with the farm house/hut and the spokey wheeled machine on the bottom right (it should have won!).
Hi Tracey

I've just seen the photo in the Gallery. Am I right that it was taken at Auchindrain?

http://auchindrain.org.uk/
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Hi All

For what it's worth, I quite liked the judging, most of his comments were spot on although a few tactless remarks ie the comments about little George, who by the way, I thought was not only cute but also fantastic in being game for posing, I've seen him a few times now in Gerry's images and it's a shame he now no longer wants to be involved. Gerry, I hope you manage to persuade him to change his mind, he is a little star.

The last few were all worthy of being the overall winner, they were all different thereby making it difficult to choose and we would all have had our own preference (I personally thought mine was the best - hahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: ) but at the end of the day, we ask these judges to come along and judge, so we have to accept what they choose as the winning image, most of the people in the room will never agree with his/her decision.

Thank you Andy for your support - I love you too ;-]

Paul - in answer to your question, yes, the picture was taken at Auchindrain earlier this year.

Tracey
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

George shares something in common with Father Christmas guys, you have to believe in him. :wink:
Best regards

John
canonsnap
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by canonsnap »

That judge had the images for a week to view them before the actual competition, yet he couldn't tell the sea from the sky and once even called it a blue field. In my opinion, he hadn't even looked at them before the competition night.
I know he had notes but I still think it was taken too lightly by him.

Are there any female judges on the circuit? I've yet to see one. :?

Canonsnap.
keith richardson
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by keith richardson »

Hi,
Next week is the monthly competition night, the judge is Christine Widdall, who has been to the club as a judge on numerous occasions.
There are a few female judges on the circuit but they do tend either not take that many bookings or are booked up early.
Christine was booked for next week at the beginning of last year's season, this was her first free night.

keith.
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

canonsnap wrote: Are there any female judges on the circuit? I've yet to see one. :?
I'm a bit puzzled by this... Would a woman have liked your pictures better than a man? 8)
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."