Photography workshop with Paul Jones

A place for discussions not specifically catered for elsewhere
Darren
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: No

Photography workshop with Paul Jones

Post by Darren »

Hi All at ADAPS. I'm new to this forum but wanted to post my thoughts on todays studio and lighting workshop at ADAPS with Paul Jones.

Arriving at 10am with my girlfriend and model for the day Lisa. Paul welcomed us in and helped as we set up the lights.
Lisa changed into her first outfit and we were ready to begin. Paul said "today you're in charge, this is your shoot but and I'll assist you." Let it be said I'm a complete novice and very new to photography. Paul helped move the lights into position then meter a 2 light setup. We had varying combinations of diffusers, from a large softbox, a beauty dish to a reflector with barn doors. We worked with various soft and hard light combinations with Lisa in a variety of outfits.

In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor, giving me freedom to make mistakes and learn, while guiding me through the shoot with some totally ingenious ideas, varying lighting positions with hard and soft light combinations. Paul's knowledge of photographic composition and in depth studio craft is incredible. Also his self deprecating attitude towards his own ability made him more endearing to both Lisa and myself. We both had a fantastic day and look forward to doing it again soon.

Thanks again Paul, total legend!

Darren Andrews :-d
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Photography workshop with Paul Jones

Post by John »

Delighted to hear it went so well Darren and welcome to ADAPS! :)
Best regards

John
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

Darren wrote: Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor....
Wow, thanks Darren!

I really enjoyed helping you and the images you were showing me on the back of your camera were superb. Both you and LIsa did great. I am confident that you have the ability to become a very proficient photographer. Let me know anytime you want another session.

I really enjoy helping people whenever I can. It's very gratifying coaching and mentoring someone who is keen to learn - even when they do better than me in the Annual Competition (points at Mel B ...) ;-] :lol:
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

Darren wrote:In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor....
Hi Darren, I thoroughly agree with all of your comments - Paul has coached me on a few occasions, both in my home "studio" with friends who have modelled for me, and at Millwood Studios with professional models, with the result that I have had a few successes in the monthly and annual portrait competitions. I can see a steady improvement over the months from when I did my first model shoot, and I'm pleased with the progress, but still have lots to learn.

Paul demonstrated the difference between hard lighting and soft lighting, showed me how to set up my key light and kicker lights to get broad lighting and short lighting, and how to pose the model for the most flattering photos. He advised me on how to direct the model (very important - but something I need to practise) and how to make the model feel comfortable in order to get the best out of the shoot. Like he did to you, he told my that this was "my shoot" and that he was there to help me technically and give me advice re the model - I like being thrown into the deep end - it forces you to swim!! He also pointed out where I could have made the shot much better by choosing a different angle, or setting the lights in a different radial position or at a different height.

The most exciting part for me was his help in the processing of the images to improve things like skin tone, eyes, removing blemishes, enhancing features, etc. This has caused me to dip into this further on YouTube, where there is lots of information on these techniques, and I'm beginning to develop techniques of my own now that I am getting to grips with the processing software.

I'm looking forward to my next shoot with Paul, which will be with a professional model at Millwood Studios.

Come and say hello when you next come to ADAPS so that I know who you are.

Self deprecating?? Nah - "As usual Paul is always right"...... :lol: :-d
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

melbarnes wrote: Paul has coached me on a few occasions... with the result that I have had a few successes in the monthly and annual portrait competitions. I can see a steady improvement over the months from when I did my first model shoot...

Like he did to you, he told my that this was "my shoot" and that he was there to help me technically and give me advice re the model - I like being thrown into the deep end - it forces you to swim!!

The most exciting part for me was his help in the processing of the images...
Thanks Mel. I really appreciate your comments. :D

Yes, I like to make people think. If I just gave you the answers and showed you what to do it would be too easy. As I did with Darren and yourself, by constantly questioning you about exposure, lighting ratios and f-stops it will help you to remember for next time when I'm not there.

I'm not looking to turn people into Paul Jones copycats. I want to help you be your own photographer and be the very best you can be - producing images that you're proud of. ;-]

I believe that Mel and Darren will prove to be formidable portrait photographers.
Paul
================

PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by PhilipHowe »

Darren, I speak to Paul about photography all the time and have learnt a lot from Paul's interest and it has made me go back and think about how I setup a shoot. As long as you gain a little knowledge and dare to experiment each time, you will enjoy each shoot more and more.

He's not a bad bloke, you know....
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

PhilipHowe wrote: I speak to Paul about photography all the time and have learnt a lot from Paul's interest and it has made me go back and think about how I setup a shoot.
Thanks Philip, dear friend. I appreciate your comments. And I very much enjoy our photography chats.
PhilipHowe wrote: As long as you gain a little knowledge and dare to experiment each time, you will enjoy each shoot more and more.
Definitely. I learn something new from every shoot I do, seriously.
PhilipHowe wrote: He's not a bad bloke, you know....
You're not so bad yourself... :-d

Gosh, I'm building up quite a following now. I'm genuinely thrilled with all your kind words. Thank-you. 8)
Paul
================

melbarnes
Vice Chair
Vice Chair

Post by melbarnes »

PhilipHowe wrote: As long as you gain a little knowledge and dare to experiment each time, you will enjoy each shoot more and more.
Agreed Phil ; As an absolute beginner I've got to grips with the functions on my camera by taking several shots of the same scenario whilst changing the setting of one control on each shot and noting the difference in the image. For example, changing the aperture setting and noticing the effect on depth of field. This is the great thing about digital photography, it is easy to do this, costs nothing extra, and you get instant feedback of the results. Now I'm trying the same techniques with my lighting set-ups, and I really appreciate the help that Paul Jones has been giving me.
"Aim for the moon - if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by Paul Jones »

melbarnes wrote: Now I'm trying the same techniques with my lighting set-ups, and I really appreciate the help that Paul Jones has been giving me
Thanks Mel. I enjoy having you as a keen student.

See you bright and early on Saturday for our next model shoot. Bring your notebook and pen... :D
Paul
================