Thu 2 July 2015 - Gentlemen's Evening

A place for Syllabus Updates and Comments
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Thu 2 July 2015 - Gentlemen's Evening

Post by John »

Again, it needs to be stressed that this is an evening where the Gentlemen of the club show their photographic delights for the entertainment of all, Ladies and Gentlemen alike. The Ladies have their chance on another night in the syllabus.

So, Gentlemen, please bring your prints, digital files, slide shows etc for our entertainment and edification. All presentations should be short, 5 minutes is ideal, and the winning presentation will be chosen by our Ladies. The prize will be a bottle of red, white or rose wine, or a pen drive, or an SD card.

Good luck!
Best regards

John
Gordon Armstrong
Chair
Chair
Spam Protection: No

Re: Thu 2 July 2015 - Gentlemen's Evening

Post by Gordon Armstrong »

John

I am trying my hand at a short slide show. I know that you and Sue have recomended 'pictures to exe' before which I understand produces a standalone executable file. I am using a freebie at the moment called photostage to see whether this is my cup of tea. It is well reviewed and sets up the show in a similar interface to pictures to exe but I think the file needs a video application to run - my system defaults to Nero which works fine but it also runs happily on windows media player. Is that ok for the club laptop? I am given a wide range of options of file type to save the project. Is there a preferred file type for projection at the club - the default option is .avi but I can choose others.

Gordon
"People say that nothing is impossible, but some times I can do nothing all day"

Gordon
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

The club's laptop will support most file types, but if you want to be sure pop round one evening before Thursday (Monday or Tuesday are OK) and we can try it to make sure.
Best regards

John
Paul Jones
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Post by Paul Jones »

Gordon Armstrong wrote: I think the file needs a video application to run - my system defaults to Nero which works fine but it also runs happily on windows media player. Is that ok for the club laptop?
You can change the default programs for any software application, so don't have to have Nero set as the default.

Photostage supports the following file types - http://www.nchsoftware.com/slideshow/kb/568.html

To make sure your file will play on all versions of Windows Media Player the safest way would be to save your slideshow as a '.wmv' file. WMV is supported by all versions of Windows Media Player - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/316992

So, when you have finalised your slideshow, save it as something like 'Gordon_Armstrong.wmv'
Paul
================
http://www.PaulJones.org

"As usual Paul is absolutely correct."
"In short, Paul is an absolutely brilliant mentor."
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

Congratulations to Neville for winning the accolade of Ladies' Choice, and also to Gordon for coming a close second.

That was a very pleasant evening's entertainment and we saw some very interesting photography.
Best regards

John