NEW COMP FOR NEXT YEAR (ONLY FOR FUN)

All things relating to Film Photography
mark dyson
Photographer
Photographer

NEW COMP FOR NEXT YEAR (ONLY FOR FUN)

Post by mark dyson »

I dont know how many people are intrested in film but just for a bit of fun, could we have a small comp for photos taken on old, toy, one shot or pin hole cameras. All we would need is a roll of film and standard prints from the local town labs. No modern slrs or digital prints so a level playing field for all. This could be judged by some of our own members. There is a growing trend for photos taken with the Holga toy camera and include some fine photographers getting back to basics. My prints would probably be taken on an old Kodak Retinette 1b. Anybody intrested in putting some fun back into photography.
pammie
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Re: NEW COMP FOR NEXT YEAR (ONLY FOR FUN)

Post by pammie »

Oohh.....only trouble is my biscuit tin is full of jammie dodgers, I will have to eat them all to make a pinhole camera out of it. Ah well another silver lining.. :lol:
cameraclix
Initiate
Initiate

Post by cameraclix »

I once took a photograph of the back of my front teeth, using a homemade pinhole camera stuck to the tip of my tongue...bit different!

John
mark dyson
Photographer
Photographer

Post by mark dyson »

WE could award points for the best contraption used. Idely the photos should not be the run of the mill but weird and wacky.
mark dyson
Photographer
Photographer

Post by mark dyson »

Sorry for the spelling but i can not type and watch television at the same time, only women can do that.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

A nice idea....
Best regards

John
pammie
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by pammie »

Well it's taking me a long time to get to grips with this digital lark - I am more often frustrated because I can't get the final image I want using photoshop. Having said that, I never used to do colour printing, only monochrome, so now at least I have the world of colour to flounder around in. I used to do slides, but as we know, not much room for manipulation there. I really need to get to grips with photoshop, not that I want to do anything wacky.

Having now got hold of more kit to do wet processing and printing, I am just about getting there making space for a darkroom. So hopefully the house will smell of stop bath before to long. It always was a thrill to see the image appear out of nothing in the developing tray.

So is digital less fun? It doesn't have the same magic, that's for sure, but it has made me appreciate a colour image more.

Back to the original thread about a fun competition, I think it is a good idea....how will people cope with the limitations imposed by basic equipment? Could be some interesting results.
mark dyson
Photographer
Photographer

Post by mark dyson »

I have just setup a wet darkroom in the attic and i am really enjoying it apart from the dust i keep getting on my prints. I find digital to clinical and to reliant on third party systems i prefare film as i like the art of processing and printing. I will scan some negs and use photoshop and mess about with the images though. Digital is good, its just not for me.
Alan Duckworth
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Alan Duckworth »

Mark A great idea, back to basics. The club held similar competition a few years ago, when J.R. issued all interested parties with an ancient camera, complete with a film, and we walked round Atherton, in the evening, snapping anything we thought fit, with a view to winning nothing at all. It was. as I remember, quite a successful evening. All being well, I will have a go. Perhaps a poster at the club would drive the membership on to trying something different. Alan D.
Lee Bold
Photographer
Photographer

Post by Lee Bold »

Whats a pin hole camera and this film stuff you keep talking about. I take it i'm to young to remember them,
LOL.
Super idea of using a put together item to create a print, and i don't think digital has taken the excitment out of it, its just made it easier and less messy, when i used film i either had to pay for a shop to develop or i had to go into college and develop them myself there. now i hardly print any shots just the ones i want which saves me quite a bit of money.
Lee