Nikon Frustration

All things relating to Digital Photography
Brian
Photographer
Photographer

Nikon Frustration

Post by Brian »

OK no funny comments from the Canon users :P

I have an issue that keeps setting me back and tbh gets me down .. A few months ago GIll, Dan, Les and I had a shoot in the club and although my camera (D80 at the time) was set to iso 100 and we had a set up studio lights I was aware that the pictures were coming out a little grainy :( ... Last weekend I also noticed that my photos were a tad grainy (now on a d7000 but iso was set to 200, nothing to cry about I am sure considering the 3 years of dev between the D80 and the D7000). My mum printed out one of the pictures to A3 scale on a piece of A4 and she said it prints out perfectly but I am still concernted as most of my pictures will end up being displayed digitally .... If I get bright sun shine then everything is fine which I can understand but why would I get grainy pictures at iso 100-200 ? its starting to P155 me off :(

Any one out there that can advise on this inconsistancy ?
Take only pictures, Leave only footprints ........
Возьмите только фотографии, оставить только след .........

Always ask yourself this question: “am I proud of this shot?” if the answer is “yes” then it doesn’t matter what anyone else says.
-=d^_^b=-
stelee
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: Maybe

Re: Nikon Frustration

Post by stelee »

Hi Brian
I'm not familiar with either of these cameras albeit I am a Nikon user. I do know that the D7000 has an auto ISO facility and it may be that this is switched on and the settings are not quite right. If it is on, it could be jacking up the ISO in low light conditions and introducing noise without you being aware
Just a thought.
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

I think that could well be the answer. The Nikon D7000 has quite low noise, so do check that ISO setting.
Best regards

John
Brian
Photographer
Photographer

Post by Brian »

Thanks guys .. if its ok with you John would you have an issue me bringing in the lappy one week and maybe a few printouts so you can take a look ?

Always ask yourself this question: “am I proud of this shot?” if the answer is “yes” then it doesn’t matter what anyone else says.
-=d^_^b=-
Brian
Photographer
Photographer

Post by Brian »

BTW my concern is the lack of consistancy .. as said in the opening I have done shoots with Chloe in the club and they came out ok then I had the issue with Melissa .. not that I made any mojor changes to the "back room" settings on the camera .. just apature, speed etc .. but not to the low light noise reduction, auto ISO settings yet one seemed clear and the other seemed a little grainy .... If I could set, forget and be confident with the consistancy of the photos then I would be 1 happy bunny

-=d^_^b=-
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

The best way would be for you to e-mail me an image, or bring in a few on a disc so I can look at them on my own system. Or call round, you'd be most welcome to do so and we can have a look.
Best regards

John
Brian
Photographer
Photographer

Post by Brian »

Thanks for the offer John :) maybe a tea and cheese night would be awesome and will be a little less rushed than a normal night at the club, let me check my calendar and I will get back to you and arrange a day ?

-=d^_^b=-
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by John »

That's fine Brian.
Best regards

John
Brian
Photographer
Photographer

Post by Brian »

Ok so I took a quick look ad my D7000 last night after the club and I can confirm that the auto ISO setting is turned off .. Ok the Dynamic lighting was set to on so I have turned that off I wont know if this has effected anything untill I have taken more photo's .. saying that even if I have a few days out with the camera it may not ansewer the question for a while due to its inconsistant behaviour :S

I will still take john up on his offer (maybe one saturday night in the new season of Dr Who just to annoy him LOL) but it may be a week or so off as I have a full callendar with car and birthdays and stuff coming up :S

Thankls for all the advice and will keep you informed

-=d^_^b=-