Red squirrels Formby

A place for discussions not specifically catered for elsewhere
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: No

Red squirrels Formby

Post by BydoR9 »

Has anyone been to photograph the red sqirrels at Formby recently?

I believe they are supposed to be increasing their numbers again after the pox nearly wiped them all out a few years ago. I'm looking at goin up there early morning this coming Sunday, so any info would be of use to save going down there and being disapointed.

Cheers,
Andy.
Tracey McGovern
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Red squirrels Formby

Post by Tracey McGovern »

Hi Andy

I went there a few years ago, I didn't realise there was a problem until I got there, I only got to see a couple of moth eaten ones, I haven't been since. I hope it's true what you say about their numbers increasing, it would be a shame to lose them altogether.

If you go, you'll have to let us know how you get on.

Best Wishes

Tracey
Geoff
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by Geoff »

Hi Andy

Numbers are increasing,if you get there early and catch the ranger putting the food out for them you should see plenty.They just appear from no where and you can get some good shots.If you ask Steve Woods at the club he should know what time roughly they put food out, he was there last week.

Cheers Geoff
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by BydoR9 »

Thanks Tracey and Geoff for the info :-]

I rang Formby National Trust this morning and they said that the numbers are back up to around 90%! The advice they gave me was pretty much as Geoff said - get there early when they're being fed and before the half-term groups of kids turn up and scare them all off :-d
STEEWOOD
Initiate
Initiate
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by STEEWOOD »

Hi Andy went last Sunday got there approx 8am ranger came round about 9
when you go through main entrance turn left there are 2 feeding stations on right
set up then sit tight they will appear from trees they are very quick so good luck
I might be there again sun but weather forcast very cold
BydoR9
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by BydoR9 »

Thanks Steve for the info :-]

Went on Sunday and got there for 8:45(ish), went with Allan and Chris (of this Parish :wink: ) Although there are quite a few squirrels around, they tended to stay up in the trees, so we didn't really get anything competition worthy. Still, we had a good day out all-in-all and yes, it was very cold!

http://500px.com/photo/26749689 Mine - not good! might be better on it's side really, but not a keeper anyways :-[

http://500px.com/photo/26748499 This is Allan's, the best one of the day - it's a good one, taken with my 200mm incidently! :-d

Andy.